Trusted Contributor

Re: Free Community College - Good Idea? Bad Idea?

On 1/9/2015 Macy said:
On 1/9/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/9/2015 Nancy Drew said:

I wish we had so much money flowing that for all these great things we could afford. We just don't. The list is long of programs who need money. I say lets get our K-12th more efficient in math & science and not have this watered down public school system. If we start there at the root of education we would get way more for our money.

Remember the GI Bill?

That bill, after WWII, created our strong middle class. Soldiers came back and were often the first in their family to get a college degree - and then they were able to afford education for the baby boomers (their children).

Education is the key to economic success.

different times, different economy. How many people were on welfare programs after WWII? Food stamps? Disability?

Too true, and the quality of students was much, much higher. Teachers we know are gleefully retiring because the college degree has become the new hs diploma. The drop-out rates combined with the massive need for remedial classes aren't great indicators of success.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

I am surprised they haven't forgiven all of the student loan debt. Now free college?

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Caravaggio said:
On 1/9/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I'm skeptical at this point. Nearly every program the government and our politicians come with is marketed as 'helping the middle class' and guess what, it NEVER does.

I agree this is a bad band aid to the problem. Why not go after the high cost of higher education. The money going to 4 year colleges is ridiculous and then these kids get out of school with these over priced degrees and there are still no jobs.

I agree college tuition is out of sight. But it's a free society and schools can set their own tuitions - what the market will bear.

If they had some competition from free 2 year colleges, maybe they would lower costs at their own schools.

That is soooooooooooooooooo NOT competition. That is called FIXING the game.

Honored Contributor

Again, what do you do after your free two years of community college?

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Caravaggio said:
On 1/9/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I'm skeptical at this point. Nearly every program the government and our politicians come with is marketed as 'helping the middle class' and guess what, it NEVER does.

I agree this is a bad band aid to the problem. Why not go after the high cost of higher education. The money going to 4 year colleges is ridiculous and then these kids get out of school with these over priced degrees and there are still no jobs.

I agree college tuition is out of sight. But it's a free society and schools can set their own tuitions - what the market will bear.

If they had some competition from free 2 year colleges, maybe they would lower costs at their own schools.

College tuition soared when student loans became common. Even when I went to college, prices were low because loans weren't the norm at the state level. Then they were promoted as a way to go to a fancier school. Prices soar when the gov gets involved. See hc for the best example.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Probably go to work at WalMart or McDonald's. Woo Hoo look what the taxpayers got for all their free money they gave away.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Exactly. Unless you're being trained with a needed skill, it was a waste.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Take those credits and get a four year degree at a state university - or maybe even a higher degree.

You can work p/t when a community college and get a head start on university costs.

It's a hand UP.

BTW - our local community colleges have degrees in hospitality and food (big in tourist cities like Niagara Falls), STEM programs - X Ray techs, PT assistants, LPN (a big start on RN degree), etc.

My trainer got a 2 year p/t assistant degree - got in a program for a doctorate in PT at our university (linked to the CC) and is finishing up his doctorate. He is 33 and has supported himself as a trainer. He has 2 more years to go.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Germany and other European countries' economies are collapsing. We can't sustain free college education on top of everything else.

Ummm...Germany has a strong economy.

Really? They hold a massive debt, too.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Take those credits and get a four year degree at a state university - or maybe even a higher degree.

You can work p/t when a community college and get a head start on university costs.

It's a hand UP.

Shouldn't the one's who truly want to do this have been doing this since their 16th birthday in 10th, 11th & 12th grade and in the summers?