Super Contributor

Re: Free Community College - Good Idea? Bad Idea?

My daughter signed up thru a CC to take a Literature course this Spring while doing a co-op semester away from her university.

Cost on-line is 426.00. That doesn't include the book. We haven't purchased that just yet.

AND for the most part . . . community college is just an extension of high school these days when it comes to level of difficulty. They've watered it down too. Just like they have high school.

IF high school weren't so watered down, we'd be at least getting a greater percentage of high school graduates, that were actually READY for college and to face the world.

Honored Contributor

Germany and other European countries' economies are collapsing. We can't sustain free college education on top of everything else.

Respected Contributor

Who's going to pay for it. NOTHING is free.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Germany and other European countries' economies are collapsing. We can't sustain free college education on top of everything else.

Ummm...Germany has a strong economy.

Trusted Contributor

Russia's economy is about as done as burned steak. Apparently people just can't think of long term results of consequences.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Super Contributor

Ah yes, dear Tennessee . . . I recall being slammed on these boards for mentioning their college program and above 2 years too . . . for A & B students . . . I had the audacity to call them "good" students . . . vs. the snobbery of only including GREAT students who make only A's. How terrible of Tennessee to include B students.

disclaimer: my kids ARE A students . . . I was trying to be diplomatic and including the "good" students in Tennessee's efforts and STILL got slammed.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish we had so much money flowing that for all these great things we could afford. We just don't. The list is long of programs who need money. I say lets get our K-12th more efficient in math & science and not have this watered down public school system. If we start there at the root of education we would get way more for our money.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Qwackertoo said:

My daughter signed up thru a CC to take a Literature course this Spring while doing a co-op semester away from her university.

Cost on-line is 426.00. That doesn't include the book. We haven't purchased that just yet.

AND for the most part . . . community college is just an extension of high school these days when it comes to level of difficulty. They've watered it down too. Just like they have high school.

IF high school weren't so watered down, we'd be at least getting a greater percentage of high school graduates, that were actually READY for college and to face the world.

You're right Qwacker. The community college in our town is referred to as 13th and 14th grade.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 CelticCrafter said:
On 1/9/2015 Qwackertoo said:

You're right Qwacker. The community college in our town is referred to as 13th and 14th grade.

Bingo, Or the High School name's CC campus (using their real names).

Trusted Contributor

and many community college courses aren't even transferable to 4 year universities which means students need to repeat courses. My son finished his 4 year degree but had to take several more classes that weren't accepted in the University.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.