Super Contributor

Re: Free Community College - Good Idea? Bad Idea?

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

CoolThe idea originally started in Tennessee was by a Republican, wasn't it?

Doesn't count. Red state ya know. They are ill-informed and backwards.

Or so I was told on this very board.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 brii said:

CoolThe idea originally started in Tennessee was by a Republican, wasn't it?

Yes!

Super Contributor

I think in a perfect world, it would be a wonderful thing.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/9/2015 Georgie the 5th said:

Good Idea/Bad Idea

Democrat/Republican

Never used to be that way!

Ex.: Eisenhower presided over one of the biggest public works program - national highways.

The Contract With America started it. Ever since then the country has been polarized beyond belief. It's disgusting.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 GoodStuff said:

Mediocre public education for everyone! Pre-K through communty college. And no doubt many of the graduates would come out still barely able to read or reason. The President says "everyone willing to work for it" should be able to get a college education. IMO, not everyone desires, needs, or is suited for a college education. The world needs plumbers, auto mechanics, massage therapists, construction workers, and clerical workers as well as professional employees. And people willing to work for a college education can already get one -- by working for it!

Truly, some are trying to create a society where the government is looked to to provide <em>everything.</em> Pathetic. And unsustainable.

Our local CC has courses in HVAC, Auto Mechanics, drafting, etc. - all necessary education for the jobs you described.

BTW - getting licensed in message therapy is expensive!!!

that's different. Those are not degreed programs. Those are certificate programs offered at CC for a one time fee. I doubt this program includes those.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Macy said:

Mediocre public education for everyone! Pre-K through communty college. And no doubt many of the graduates would come out still barely able to read or reason. The President says "everyone willing to work for it" should be able to get a college education. IMO, not everyone desires, needs, or is suited for a college education. The world needs plumbers, auto mechanics, massage therapists, construction workers, and clerical workers as well as professional employees. And people willing to work for a college education can already get one -- by working for it!

Truly, some are trying to create a society where the government is looked to to provide <em>everything.</em> Pathetic. And unsustainable.

Our local CC has courses in HVAC, Auto Mechanics, drafting, etc. - all necessary education for the jobs you described.

that's different. Those are not degreed programs. Those are certificate programs offered at CC for a one time fee. I doubt this program includes those.

It does include these certificate programs.

Honored Contributor

Community College? Humm. If it was a Technical School to learn a trade...that would be a good idea. Watch Mike Rowe's TED talk.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 sidsmom said:

Community College? Humm. If it was a Technical School to learn a trade...that would be a good idea. Watch Mike Rowe's TED talk.

A lot of CCs offer tech certificates.

It's an attempt to help people get the education they need to get decent jobs.

With the demise of unions (and their journeymen and apprentice programs) - it's a way for people to get the experience and education they need for trade jobs as well as other jobs.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Macy said:

Generally, such vocational programs are covered under state/county or private vocational/technical colleges. They are usually much shorter courses, and much more affordable than traditional four-year degree college programs. In my 50's I went back to school and was certified as a medical assistant in a five-quarter program at a public vo-tech school. I already had a college degree, but my skills were out of date, and I wanted a practical career program. Excellent, very affordable program with lots of financial aid available to those who needed it. I came out with practical knowledge and skills and ready to work!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Macy said:

It does include these certificate programs.

Where are you seeing the full details of this proposed program. I have only found a small amount of info of what this would entail, do you have a site that lays out the entire proposal? I am at work and haven't had a chance to see what it is all about.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK