Honored Contributor

Re: Freaking the heck out...

@Northray wrote:

Yep, it’s happened.  The one thing I simply cannot abide.  Last night there was a roach in my bed!!  I have a phobic fear/disgust of roaches.  I just can’t tolerate them!  And what am I going to do know?  I can never sleep in my bed again!  

How has this happened?  I’m a clean person.  Keep the bedroom clutter free.  No eating in the bedroom.  Mom gets the house sprayed regularly.  Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl, ugh.  I can’t stop feeling it!  This is a nightmare.

@Northray

At first I thought your post was a joke, but I guess not.   You need to get a grip on yourself, and keep in mind that roaches are a very important part of Earth's eco-system.   (I won't go into details as to why; you can google that yourself).    

Yes, you CAN sleep in your bed again.   They don't leave any sort of "residue" that can't be removed, so just wash everything and you'll be fine.

My guess is a big part of this could be the construction of the home or building you live in, and how old it is.   All sorts of bugs get in through the tiniest of cracks, as well as other sources mentioned upthread.   Maybe it came in through a crack near a ceiling lighting fixture, and landed on your bed.  Who knows?

Look on the bright side ....  a roach is pretty harmless compared to what comes in others' homes in other parts of the country.  I had a friend who moved to a beautiful home in the desert ...... and had more than her fair share of scorpions sneaking in!

If all else fails, you can always move.  

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

A long time ago, I lived in Honolulu for four months. I had never seen a cockroach prior to that. One day I was walking home from work, and the city had taken down the oldest banyan tree on the island. I watched the operation for a while as they removed the roots which were getting into the plumbing of nearby businesses. When I got closer and started to cross the main street past that tree/park, I stopped dead in my tracks. The whole street at that corner was solid swarming cockroaches....the big kind...an inch or more long. I had to turn around and go back and cross on the opposite side to walk home. There was no way I was going to put my foot down in the middle of those roaches. apparently the removal of the tree had disturbed them wherever they were living.  EWWWW!

@RainCityWoman.  We went to a luau in Hawaii years ago. We were sitting at a picnic table under the trees. Roaches started falling or jumping out of them and landing on us. We ran to a treeless section of land.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG that would freak me out too ... good luck with however you are going to deal with this 😰

Respected Contributor

I'll gladly take your Roach in trade for the creepy Spider hanging out in my room

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

A long time ago, I lived in Honolulu for four months. I had never seen a cockroach prior to that. One day I was walking home from work, and the city had taken down the oldest banyan tree on the island. I watched the operation for a while as they removed the roots which were getting into the plumbing of nearby businesses. When I got closer and started to cross the main street past that tree/park, I stopped dead in my tracks. The whole street at that corner was solid swarming cockroaches....the big kind...an inch or more long. I had to turn around and go back and cross on the opposite side to walk home. There was no way I was going to put my foot down in the middle of those roaches. apparently the removal of the tree had disturbed them wherever they were living.  EWWWW!

@RainCityWoman.  We went to a luau in Hawaii years ago. We were sitting at a picnic table under the trees. Roaches started falling or jumping out of them and landing on us. We ran to a treeless section of land.

The big ones fly. You really have to duck when they come at you. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu ... I've had a snake in the house, and I've had waterbugs & roaches.  I'll take the snake any and every day!  I'm fine with reptiles.  Even rescue all the little geckos that get into the house and take them outside.  Bugs?  I'm in the freaking out group!

Honored Contributor

Yuk, I don't think we have roaches in Wisconsin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Yuk, I don't think we have roaches in Wisconsin.

That would be so nice but unfortunately if you have food, trees or people you are going to have roaches.  I googled it @AuntG to see since I always thought that may be a place to retire to if no big ugly brown bugs there.

Are there cockroaches in Wisconsin?
In Wisconsin, there are four common species and four occasional species of cockroaches. Traditionally, cockroaches are oval-shaped, flattened, reddish-brown to black in color, and around 1 1/8 to 2 inches long. They hide in dark, damp, confined places during the day and are active at night.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

They must hide well @beckyb1012 because I've never seen one and I hope I never do!

Honored Contributor

I think most places in the country can have cockroaches.....I remember seeing them in Hawaii too, big ones, thank goodness not in our hotel rooms....I thought they were beetles.....Yikes.I remember in Maui, hubby and I were just browsing and walking and stopped and got some ice cream and was sitting on a brick wall, and all of a sudden my husband got up and said get up quickly, and I did and it was because there was a roach crawling right on the brick wall.......I was cautious the rest of the trip!!!!!