Esteemed Contributor

Re: Freaking the heck out...

I  live in the woods.  Just be thankful.  Neighbors have had squirrels move in.  I had two snakes and one bat.  LIfe is so interesting.  I will trade your roach for my  snake, bat and neighbors squirrel.  

Honored Contributor

If you have a regular service to treat in order to prevent then they should come for free and spray inside the house for you.

I'd change my sheets and wash my mattress cover. We had a gecko came in when the men were putting in the new AC unit - it was on DH's pillow when we walked into the bedroom and turned on the light last night. He found it dead in the toilet this morning , must have fallen in & drowned.

Honored Contributor

Back in the early 80's ,my husband was sent to Montgomery ala. he was in the air force,we eventually got base housing that was actually off base, after moving in ,one morning i got up very early ,turned on light so i could see , roaches.all over the ceiling, i totally freaked out!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Warm weather brings everything out. 

Esteemed Contributor

A long time ago, I lived in Honolulu for four months. I had never seen a cockroach prior to that. One day I was walking home from work, and the city had taken down the oldest banyan tree on the island. I watched the operation for a while as they removed the roots which were getting into the plumbing of nearby businesses. When I got closer and started to cross the main street past that tree/park, I stopped dead in my tracks. The whole street at that corner was solid swarming cockroaches....the big kind...an inch or more long. I had to turn around and go back and cross on the opposite side to walk home. There was no way I was going to put my foot down in the middle of those roaches. apparently the removal of the tree had disturbed them wherever they were living.  EWWWW!

Esteemed Contributor

Call your exterminator and have him come and respray. It depends on which kind of cockroach it was (I hate them all). The small ones are really the worst kind to have in your home. I don't know where you are located - but was it a very large roach? If so, it was probably a Palmetto bug (still a roach to me) but not as bad as the smaller ones.

They come in through cracks, vents, bags, boxes, luggage, under doors, etc. You can also use Home Defense - I spray in corners of a room. Do the bathrooms & kitchens then all of the thresholds of the doors.

When my husband traveled to Mississippi I would not let him bring his luggage into the house - he had to empty it outside, lol.

My daughter now lives in an apt. bldg - I told her to spray every month - so far, so good.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1 wrote:

Call your exterminator and have him come and respray. It depends on which kind of cockroach it was (I hate them all). The small ones are really the worst kind to have in your home. I don't know where you are located - but was it a very large roach? If so, it was probably a Palmetto bug (still a roach to me) but not as bad as the smaller ones.

They come in through cracks, vents, bags, boxes, luggage, under doors, etc. You can also use Home Defense - I spray in corners of a room. Do the bathrooms & kitchens then all of the thresholds of the doors.

When my husband traveled to Mississippi I would not let him bring his luggage into the house - he had to empty it outside, lol.

My daughter now lives in an apt. bldg - I told her to spray every month - so far, so good.

As @riley1 said, you better figure out what kind of roach it was (google types of roaches), because if it's a German roach, you have a serious problem.  You need to buy professional products and take care of this yourself.  Much cheaper than an exterminator, and you'll do a better job!  I highly recommend this website:

doityourselfpestcontrol .com

Call and get professional advice.  They give good advice, the products aren't that expensive, they get to your home within 2-3 days, and they work!  At minimum, you'll need an insecticide, growth regulator, and traps.  If you don't take care of the problem now, you will have a nightmare.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I  live in the woods.  Just be thankful.  Neighbors have had squirrels move in.  I had two snakes and one bat.  LIfe is so interesting.  I will trade your roach for my  snake, bat and neighbors squirrel.  

Not in the woods but I live just outside town next to a field. I had a possum staring at me when I opened a cabinet. Now those things are creepy looking!

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the city, but we have coyotes. I haven't seen them in my neighborhood, but 10 blocks from me they are thriving where there is water source, and vegetation to hide in, plenty of food, wild and domestic. Several people nearby have lost their cats to the coyotes.

Honored Contributor

@Northray- Was it one of those big flying roaches or a small one?  Does one roach mean there are other ones hiding that you can't see?  Smiley Surprised