Honored Contributor

Re: Frantic last minute shopping

DH ALWAYS shops on Christmas Eve! Because it's a Sunday this year, he went out today. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I think everyone has their own way doing things and what works for them. I personally like to have my shopping done the first week of December and the decoratind done by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. It allows me to wrap the presents at my leisure and to just enjoy the decorations with no stress involved. I cook for all of my family and they come on Christmas Eve so I know that the 22nd and 23rd will be really busy for me. I enjoy it though. I don't see anyting wrong with last minute shopping if people are able to get what they want to give others. I also was at the grocery store yesterday morning at 6:00 A.M. so I wouldn't have to deal with the crowd.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my daughters not finished shopping yet, she needs one more thing. Not me, I'm done and wrapped 2 weeks ago (and that was late for me).

I spent all day cleaning and doing wash just so DH and I can go to the movies at noon Christmas Eve (before everyone comes Christmas Eve night,, lol.) Yes it took me all day because I have to take breaks for my bad back. I just got down now at 1 AM!

But Id be panicking if I had to shop and wrap and clean and everything at the last minute! We are having Italian food Christmas Eve, easy peasy. Christmas Day we go to DHs family. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

Some of my best memories are accompanying my Dad on Christmas Eve as he did his shopping. No crowds back then and we enjoyed our time together.

Honored Contributor

There are many reasons people shop last minute, myself included!

Its ridiculous to say one puts no thought into the gift - I am just the opposite.  I have a specific list (right down to the wrapping paper/bows).

I flew in at 11 last night for the Christmas holiday. My niece & I enjoyed a wonderful day of prepping, baking & visiting.   I had my list in hand - we left at 9:30 pm to go do "my shopping list" for my family - 

went to kohls - got exactly what we wanted (Caphalon pro series cookware set).  Cuisinart food processor, 3 picture frames.

then off to Bed Bath & Beyond: oxo canister set, oxo measuring cups, scrub daddy set, bamboo utensils & cutting boards & a few other things.

Target: kids clothes, toys, wrapping paper, few misc things

Hallmark store: recorDable books 

PetSmart: kitty & dog gifts

food store: for our Christmas Eve dinner items 

I prefer to shop late at nite - its fairly empty & lots of cashiers/stock people around if I need help. I have to say got everything on my list less than 2 hours.  

No shippng fees & can wrap  & be done.  Too expensive to ship from home to families 

Honored Contributor

People shop around their work schedule, as someone else said. Many working poor can’t do any shopping until they get paid, and some might not get paid, or get any bonus they might be counting on, until right before Christmas.

I think we all know the people (often male) who do the drugstore thing or the mall thing until 6 pm Xmas Eve and just thoughtlessly grab whatever is left, but that doesn’t mean that every last minute shopper is lazy or thoughtless.

I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be out there, though. I popped into a mall today, and a well-known large local bakery; the bakery was much more crowded and frantic than the mall, but the register lines in Kohl’s were from one end of the store to the other.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I don't think your opinion matters. To each his/her own. 

Honored Contributor

Many people got paid on Friday and are on a budget.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Just got off the phone with a dear cousin, who states she will be out "all night" shopping because several stores are open 24/7 in my area including Kohls and Macy's, I couldn't believe that people shop like this. Who waits until the last minute? Years ago my Uncle would go to the local drug store on Christmas Eve buying all his gifts, it would drive my Aunt crazy when he would package up all the junk.  In my opinion anyone shopping at the last minute hasn't put no thought into their gift giving and is in a state of desperation grabbing anything.

I feel the same about people that shop all year. I only buy what my gifters want. I just can't seeing giving someone something I found on the clearance rack in mid July. Gift giving is giving what the person wants not what you want to give that person. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Just got off the phone with a dear cousin, who states she will be out "all night" shopping because several stores are open 24/7 in my area including Kohls and Macy's, I couldn't believe that people shop like this. Who waits until the last minute? Years ago my Uncle would go to the local drug store on Christmas Eve buying all his gifts, it would drive my Aunt crazy when he would package up all the junk.  In my opinion anyone shopping at the last minute hasn't put no thought into their gift giving and is in a state of desperation grabbing anything.

I feel the same about people that shop all year. I only buy what my gifters want. I just can't seeing giving someone something I found on the clearance rack in mid July. Gift giving is giving what the person wants not what you want to give that person. 

@ID2- just a question- why do you assume that if someone starts their Christmas shopping early that it's something they found on the clearance rack?????

I've seen people post stuff like that before and I truly don't understand it. I shop for a lot of people.  I start early (usually before July).  I never give "clearance rack junk" for gifts.  Never have.  Why do people think that if you start early, you give junk?

Not trying to pick on you- I see stuff like that posted here quite a bit and I really don't understand it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?