Esteemed Contributor

Franken Food, Brilliant or a Little of Both?

This summer, diners in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles will get their hands on a hamburger that's been five years in the making.

The burger looks, tastes and smells just like beef — except it's made entirely from plants. It sizzles on the grill and even browns and oozes fat when it cooks. It's the brainchild of former Stanford biochemist Patrick Brown and his research team at Northern California-based Impossible Foods.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2016/06/16/impossible-foods-6_edited_custom-73d5d1c2cd970d5f64548e7090b20334b5266a2d-s800-c85.jpg

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/16/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Franken Food, Brilliant or a Little of Both?

It's basiclly a veggi burger, right?  May remind the diner of beef with it's taste but it's still a veggi burger.  It should be a hit with many

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I love a good hamburger!  If these veggie burgers taste like a beef burger, and are healthier, I would definitely be interested. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

I love a good hamburger!  If these veggie burgers taste like a beef burger, and are healthier, I would definitely be interested. Heart

More than taste for me the big thing would be texture/mouth feel.  I like veggie burgers but don't care for the texture.  If these burgers taste and feel like a beef or pork burger then I'll be a fan.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I'll stick to my healthy grass fed/finished beef for burgers. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

More than taste for me the big thing would be texture/mouth feel.  I like veggie burgers but don't care for the texture.  If these burgers taste and feel like a beef or pork burger then I'll be a fan.

I agree @Marp. I'd like this as 

alternative to meat but texture is key imho.

Intetesting thread, thanks!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Here's an interesting article about
it too.😊

"If the World Gives Up Meat, We Can Still Have Burgers"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601756/if-the-world-gives-up-meat-we-can-still-have-burgers/

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

We call it franken fish because Alaskan wild salmon is a major industry here.  Just an answer to franken food.

Honored Contributor

@Marp @newziesuzie Thank you for posting those links, I really enjoyed both of them!  When I first saw this thread I immediately thought it had something to do with GMO's so this was a great and pleasant surprise . . . thank you again!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'll have to say I'm slightly skeptical. Just because it says 'plant based' doesn't mean that it is highly nutritious. 

Many people who choose a vegetarian diet do so for health/nutrition reasons, and I wonder if this might just be a new type of junk food (meaning no real nutritional value), just made of plants and appealing to the vegetarian market.

That said, I would love to try one, and see just how good it is. I have had a lot of veggie burgers, and they are just ok. So something better tasting would be great.