Honored Contributor

The Pope visited prisoners today - many were accused men waiting trial who can't afford bail.

From the NYT -

It is painful when we see prison systems, which are not concerned to care for wounds, to soothe pain, to offer new possibilities,” he said.

Prison ministry has long been a characteristic of the pope, who has often said it is important to pay attention to those on the margins of society.

As archbishop of Buenos Aires, Jorge Mario Bergoglio visited inmates frequently. As pope, he had lunch with inmates in a jail near Naples this year, and washed the feet of inmates at the Rebibbia prison in Rome in a Holy Thursday ritual in April. He did the same during his first year as pope, in 2013, at a juvenile detention center in Rome. He also visited prisoners during the last day of his trip to Bolivia in July.

Honored Contributor

He is amazing.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic.

Honored Contributor

I was more pleased that the president visited a prison.  We need some serious prison reforms.  I'd like to see the trend to privatization reverse itself.

Respected Contributor

My hope and prayers are that when Pope Francis's plane leaves the ground of our USA that he feels how much he was welcomed and loved while he was here. I pray he has a safe trip home and hope he would like to come back here again. I think he is wonderful and I have not felt this about a Pope in a long time. There is just something that is so warm and loving especially when he asks us to pray for him or wish him well.

Respected Contributor

@cater wrote:

My hope and prayers are that when Pope Francis's plane leaves the ground of our USA that he feels how much he was welcomed and loved while he was here. I pray he has a safe trip home and hope he would like to come back here again. I think he is wonderful and I have not felt this about a Pope in a long time. There is just something that is so warm and loving especially when he asks us to pray for him or wish him well.

Yes, I too am glad that he has seen how welcoming and loving this country is.  

Honored Contributor

@cater wrote:

This is so beautifully said cater thank you for this.  Every time I think of him saying "pray for me" with that beautiful, sweet smile I just burst into tears all over again . . . what a wonderful, uplifting visit this has been.

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

@cater wrote:

Yes, I too am glad that he has seen how welcoming and loving this country is.  

He was grateful, humble and thankful in every city he visited.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@cater wrote:

This is so beautifully said cater thank you for this.  Every time I think of him saying "pray for me" with that beautiful, sweet smile I just burst into tears all over again . . . what a wonderful, uplifting visit this has been.

cater, you make such wonderful comments Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

I love our Pope's humility and messages and he reminds me what being a Christian really is. I hope that I , personally, can become more aware of what I need to do for the rest of my life to help other people and leave behind blessing and love when I leave this earth.