Respected Contributor

Re: Franchised Food Not As You Remember It

Sounds like fun! And nothing beats the Huntinton Sheraton Tea Room..can't bring myself to call it the Langham, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Sounds like fun! And nothing beats the Huntinton Sheraton Tea Room..can't bring myself to call it the Langham, LOL!

Ah well, THAT one I never quite wanted to dress up for ;-) 

I meant the tea in the Rose Garden Tea Room at the Huntington Library, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh we go every year near Xmas, us "girls" my 80 year old aunt, her two daughters, THEIR daughters, my sister in law and her granddaughters.. Love the tea, the food, the

company and the grounds...of course, I grew up in San Marino and Arcadia, LOL!

...and there is always Blue Boy.......

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Oh we go every year near Xmas, us "girls" my 80 year old aunt, her two daughters, THEIR daughters, my sister in law and her granddaughters.. Love the tea, the food, the

company and the grounds...of course, I grew up in San Marino and Arcadia, LOL!

...and there is always Blue Boy.......

It's funny that I first started going for the library & galleries but ended up enjoying the gardens so much! I LOVE the Chinese Garden and have a bazillion photos of it. I also loved the lily ponds, and the cactus of all things. 

Not to mention taking home extra mini-scones 😎

Esteemed Contributor

When I arrived in southern Calif (from NY) in the mid-60s, occasionally I would order a bucket of KFC - it was so yummy. A few years ago, I went to a KFC in Oxnard, CA - and it was terrible. Recently, I was in Walmart Express and bought a box of chocolate covered Entemann's donuts. Tastes a lot better than going to most donut shops (which are not always clean). 

I also loved Hamburger Hamlet. In 1966, my mom and I worked in downtown Los Angeles - and we would go to HH for breakfast on Flower St. I also went to the HH on Ventura Blvd. in Encino. Great food and attractive restaurant. 

Now I rarely eat out since the food got so expensive and it's not good. In the 1960s/70s - everyone could afford to eat in a nice restaurant and not go broke. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For diet and budget reasons I don't eat fast foods in daily life but I was stuck in Midway airport in Chicago on a very long ground delay, and there was a Popeye's Fried Chicken near my gate. 

There was a huge crowd there, possibly because the airport was all backed up (winter weather delays).

I ordered some chicken for dinner there, not knowing where else I could go. 

Oh, my!  This could be b/c they were so busy and the chix was so fresh, but I had the most delicious fried chicken there!  I don't know if I even ordered a side, I don't remember, but I would try Popeye's again in similar circumstances. 

There was a Popeye's near where I lived in NYC years ago and the chicken there, the time I tried it, was not that good.  Maybe it was just how hungry I was.  Old saying: "hunger is the best sauce."

ETA:   @Trinity!  I just saw your post and totally agree. That chicken must have been a million calories but I haven't had fried chix that good for a long time.  Never make it at home (danger food).

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@september wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

Arbys, Long John Silvers, McDonald's, KFC, Jack-in-the- Box , Carls JR - the WORST food ever.

Well, actually, I've only eaten at two of the restaraunts named, but always felt fine afterwards.

On the other hand, both my friend and I got quite ill after eating at a highly rated, local restaurant.  

you just never know....small family run places might not be the best choices.

Hi september, speaking of small family run places, remember that popular small family run place where so many people got sick about a year ago?  Mexican food.  

More and more people kept getting sick.  Do you know if they ever traced it to a cause?

Noel, I'm not sure I know about that one.  The one that my friend and I both had bad experiences with, at different times, is run by a well known local restaurateur (but not chain related) 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

When I arrived in southern Calif (from NY) in the mid-60s, occasionally I would order a bucket of KFC - it was so yummy. A few years ago, I went to a KFC in Oxnard, CA - and it was terrible. Recently, I was in Walmart Express and bought a box of chocolate covered Entemann's donuts. Tastes a lot better than going to most donut shops (which are not always clean). 

I also loved Hamburger Hamlet. In 1966, my mom and I worked in downtown Los Angeles - and we would go to HH for breakfast on Flower St. I also went to the HH on Ventura Blvd. in Encino. Great food and attractive restaurant. 

Now I rarely eat out since the food got so expensive and it's not good. In the 1960s/70s - everyone could afford to eat in a nice restaurant and not go broke. 

Very true, @kivah, sadly. Eating out takes a real bite out of income today :-(

HHwas the "hamburger place" our parents didn't mind going because it was upscale for burgers ;-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only Popeye's I ever tried was (to me) very spicy to the point I couldn't finish it. I understand they're supposed to have spicy and regular, but I ordered regular and it was pretty spicy! I know it's a NOLA-based idea. Their sides were all spicy too.

LOL in the 60s & 70s there was a chain called Baker's Tacos that served 15 cent burgers, or 15 cent tacos. The burgers were made with the taco filling. We bought BAGS of both. Talk about Mystery Meat! Same attraction as the Jack-in-the-Box tacos - down & dirty!

Honored Contributor

Lol!  I did like the hamburgers that were served in my high school cafeteria, that were referred to as "mystery meat". They were probably better quality than many burgers sold in restaurants today.  I usually brought my own lunch, but bought lunch when burgers were on the menu.