Valued Contributor

Re: Found a storage solution for plastic grocery bags

Most towns in the Greater Boston area have banned plastic bags.  Some places don't even have brown paper bags! (No loss as far as I'm concerned.  They rip if you look at them the wrong way.)  I have 17,462.634 of the reusable shopping bags in my closet 

because I usually remember them as I pull into the supermarket parking lot and have to buy them again.

Most stores around here charge 10 cents per bag if you want them to provide them.

I used to like saving the plastic bags for disposing food waste and things like that.

I think the reusable bags are one of the best inventions since sliced bread.

I am going to throw a couple hundred thousand of them in my trunk right now so I won't be caught without them again!

Honored Contributor

I've used the IKEA garbage bag holder that attaches to the wall in my pantry. Best invention! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Where I lived in California, they banned plastic bags years ago.  I live in the Southeast now, plastic still being used but I haven't used plastic bags in a very long time.  My sister lives in NJ, they recently banned plastic bags where she is.  

Esteemed Contributor

My grocery store (Meijer) has bins as you enter the store for recycling plastic bags.  I keep mine in an small old wastebasket.  When it gets full, I take them to recycle.  Easy!

Valued Contributor

They've banned single-use plastic bags for years now here in CT. At first it was hard to get used to.  Now it's second nature. I just bring my own reusables or the store provides a paper bag. I will say this...there are times where I kind of miss having a plastic bag. I used to use them for scraping food scraps into them and then into my trash so it wouldn't stink. I've resorted to buying the smallest bathroom trash bags.  So much for saving the earth. 🥴

Respected Contributor

We also use those plastic grocery bags for stuff that will stink if put in the can "unwrapped". We don't have trash pickup (unless we pay for it) where I live, so we don't keep trash cans outside. I have a rather large kitchen wastebasket, and when it's full, it gets taken to the local Solid Waste Recycling Center (that our tax dollars pay for, so why pay more for trash pickup). That's usually once a week, so potentially stinky stuff like chicken bones, and whatever can't go in the disposal, actually goes in one of those bags and into the fridge until trash day.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123   Good idea.  I always keep my bags from the grocery store.  I can always reuse them before recycling them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I can't believe people still have plastic bags.  I used to use the so called "single use" bags more than once, but they are prohibited now.  I had to buy totes for groceries.  We don't allow styrofoam either.

I'd like to figure out a good way to store the large totes that the grocery sells.  They take up a lot of room.

@Snoopp   Oh yes, plastic bags have not been banned in the United States.  At least not in North Carolina.  

Esteemed Contributor

I make small bundles of my trash bags. I put this bundle in the bottom of trash cans I have in most of my rooms.  I take out one at a time and  line my cans. When they are filled up I dump the bag in my large trash cans to be picked up by my trash service. 

In other words I use them. 

Respected Contributor

I wish I lived where I could get a paper bag!

Consequently we re-use what we get as cat litter bags, in the small bathroon trash cans that I store under the sink or as trash bags in the car.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield