Respected Contributor

Re: Forum Friends-Alert! RE new antibody emergency treatment just released-please read!

I don't think anyone is trying to argue with @on the bay. We're merely sharing information from reliable sources that makes us wonder about the clinic administering this emergency use drug.

Basically, it's still a trial/research medication. If not administered with rigid protocols, the stats obtained (and yes they're supposed to keep them) will be useless.

How can one tell if the drug was effective in lessening the symptoms of Covid, when the person may not have the virus?  This would show a treatment success, when there may not have been one. 

I worked part time in drug research and no one wanted to have any unreliable data collection. One finding not sticking to protocol could crash the entire study. 

I'm happy to hear that @on the bay is pleased with her treatment and that she feels safer. Wishing her the best of health.

But, for me, it will remain a suspicious practice, until I learn it can be administered with a negative Covid test. And, I can't help but wonder if they're documenting positive tests for all infusions, regardless. If so, well, I won't even go there. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Forum Friends-Alert! RE new antibody emergency treatment just released-please read!

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

This morning I woke up with what I thought was my grandson's cold-saw text from daughter he just tested positive twice!

Then my other daughter sent a text that her neighbors called this place called UBYLEE- a health care facility that would give a new antibody called BEBTELOVIMAB without a positive test if you were exposed to someone with covd!

The health care sites might be different in your state so might have a different name than UBYLEE.

I will try to provide a link but look up this new med just released in July for emergency use and you will be able to put in your zip code to see where it is available!

FDA is trying to provide more resources for treatment because it has been hard for many to get the provlaxid (SP?) without a positive test and first going to dr, then finding a place etc etc!

I hope this helps any who have been exposed and seeing maybe some symptoms but I think you just need to show exposure.

I believe you are referring to monoclonal antibodies.  It's not new.  It's been available for a while for people who have really, really high risk factors of severe disease and death from Covid-19.

Surprised no one has seen the commercials for it.

@gertrudecloset 

You are absolutely right.  I just googled to make sure, and BEBTELOVIMAB is definitely a monoclonal antibody.

ETA I replied to @gertrudecloset because I saw her response first.  I then saw many others saying the same thing as I read through this entire thread.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The HHS link that Gertrudecloset posted clearly states that this is a treatment for mild Covid for those who have tested positive for Covid and who are at high risk for developing severe Covid symptoms. It is not a preventative and you must have a prescription from a physician. 

I am not questioning the OP but I am questioning the clinic that is administering this treatment to anyone who walks in the door and says that they have been exposed to Covid and they are high risk. What they are doing if it is as the OP stated misusing the medicine for people who do not qualify and who do not need the medicine They are doing this I suspect to get the reimbursements from the govt. and insurance companies. And  using this treatment unnecessarily risks not having enough to treat those who are truly in need of the medicine. 

So now we have people receiving treatment for a disease that they don't have. 

Esteemed Contributor

First off, practice safely, wear a mask when appropriate, avoid large crowds if you are high risk. . If you test positive call your doctor for advice not a website or forum. The antibody infusion is not without risks. If you test neg and are asymptomatic, for God’s sake leave the treatments for those who are in the high risk category & test positive.

I
Esteemed Contributor

Friends of ours (a couple) both high risk & both tested positive for COVID during early COVID. Their doctor screened both of them carefully and elected to give the antibody infusion to only one of them. She was too high risk for the infusion. Both vaccinated and boosted. They unwisely took an international trip believing they were immune, especially the husband as he had the infusion. Long story short, they both contracted COVID again. She passed away. As new variants develop, treatments may also vary and it isn’t one size fits all.

I think the OP had good intentions but everyone should check with his/her doctor re COVID treatments. Many I know got COVID, were vaccinated & boosted & are high risk but got very mild cases without getting the infusion or taking antivirals. Vaccination is still the best method of preventing severe infection and death.

Treatment for COVID as a preventative does not sound kosher to me. I am surprised insurance paid. Perhaps, they state the patients are positive???
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

I hope your grandchildren are OK and all of your family as well...

Honored Contributor

Thank you @bmorechick, and @stellabystarlight, also @gertrudecloset for posting what I couldn't get to post.

I have to say I was taken aback by a lot of the posts by some.

My only intent was to let many here know about a relatively new treatment that might be beneficial to so many of us here that have said they are high risk and also because it might not be well known.I'd never heard of it before.

I was trying to do this while getting an appointment after several interview phone calls to the clinic, picking up my daughter and getting there while not feeling great at all.

We did have several covd symptoms and did not feel well. I coughed and blew my nose for over an hour, breathing, headache, congestion and slept 8 hours thru-unheard of for me and my daughter had a sore throat, cough, congestion, headache etc. we are high risk as I said before (as yes I know many here have said they are many times) and grandson tested positive along with another in his class as I already said.

Maybe the doctor at this clinic did make the decision after interviews over the phone to let people in who did not have a positive test but everything else. These rapid tests have not always been able to detect the ba5 variant I've heard. She tested negative yesterday and positive this morning!

I did find it very interesting how one poster who I forget her name and had worked in research said how will they be able to accurately get results if some get this with no positive test. A very good question but still for us I'm glad we were able to get it.

This treatment is still being distributed, the last doses by the end of July to supposedly every state. Ours was not a "shady" clinic as one poster enjoyed stating but it doesn't help to post exactly where or what because each state has their own. Though I did post the name of our facility so I don't see how that complaint was warranted. I also posted the phone number to call a nationwide number I found on the sheet they gave us, and the name and website with information for those who read these posts.It's good that many were able to find things on their own as well.

I wanted to get that website back that I found on my phone that tells you where treatments are in each state for all covd treatments and put it here but could not. I can read on my phone but don't post there on forums. 

I'm sorry really that I was not able to post my usual research here on top of a messed up website. I'm usually pretty good with that. Still I would rather have posted about it at all than not because I didn't get some terms right, or able to get websites back.

As for evushield, both my daughter and I decided we will not get that after reading about potential side effects and contra-indications.

I did read about bebtelovimab before we went because I had never heard of it.

I agree that this falls under monoclonal antibodies but not the same that were released 3 or so years ago. I thought initially that they were called something different. The Dr did actually explain everything to us but I wasn't able to write it down and hadn't looked at the sheet yet driving home.

But the terms are not as important as the actual medicine going into the antibodies I think.

Each is different-remdesivir etc etc. My mother got those when they first came out thanks to our research and one of her great doctors when she had covd. And I believe at 97 it saved her life. Her assisted living facility had not even heard about those back then. I made sure they did after that, and here and all our esp elderly family and friends. And there were articles about why it wasn't heard of with doctors saying they had supplies but it was not getting out there! I want everyone not just presidents to have the same choices!

I want people to know and be able to decide about any and all treatments that should be available to everyone but aren't whether they don't know about them or too many hoops to jump through. We can all advocate for each other and those in our communities.

I don't mind questions and doubts and opinions deciding it is not for them but I know we can all agree on how things are said can really make a difference in how it is received.

I'm only giving my experience not what everyone should do.

I also agree that each person has to decide, and yes research for themselves.

My daughter tested positive this morning. She was not feeling well at all last night and neither was I. We both feel better this morning but not all the way. 

Well, that's it. Stay well, and thank you to those again who wished me and my daughter and grandson well.

I'm hopeful we will get through this without so much fear.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"