Honored Contributor

Re: Fort Worth police officer

@JJsMom   People leave their front doors wide open where I live too.  It is not at all unusual.

I have a neighbor who occasionally goes to bed and leaves his garage door open.  His garage leads to his dining room and often that inside door is open as well.  Anyone can walk right in or steal things from his garage or walk right into his house through the garage.

His phone number is on my DH's speed dial because he calls him in the middle of the night pretty often to remind him to close his garage door.

There are probably some pretty unsafe neighborhoods where it is not prudent to leave doors or windows open....ever.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SusieQ_2 

Thank you for circling back to this topic with your thoughtful post. 

You brought up a good point with the responsibility of caring for a minor.
I would like to think all of us have the compassion to do what is best

for them...and to keep them as safe as humanly possible.

Again,  no one....repeat....NO ONE is blaming the victim.

I find it unusual that someone who's in this forum saying

"stop blaming the victim!" when a side conversation of living

as safe as possible (not referring to this crime)....

those posters are sitting behind a keyboard with an anonymous

nickname. I say to those posters I say, give us your

real name, address and social security number.

No harm, no foul, right?

(sarcasm)

Not sure who the above is addressed to. But we all should live as safe as possible. And I take fairly good care of my security, so if you're asking for my SSN I'll decline. I don't know you. Woman Happy

But if you got your identity stolen and posted about it, I would blame the bad guy, not you. And I would blame anyone who should have protected your information and didn't. Criminals and people who did not live up to their positions of trust would be the ones in the wrong, not you.

I wouldn't pick that exact moment to tell you all about the myriad ways you could have avoided it, and therefore somehow brought it on yourself by your inattention. If something bad happened to you and I focused mostly on what you did wrong instead of what the bad guy did wrong, I would be putting myself on the side of the bad guy.

The timing of the safety lectures (and whom they are given to) is what makes them offensive to some.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SusieQ_2 

No harm, no foul, right?

(sarcasm)

Not sure who the above is addressed to. But we all should live as safe as possible. And I take fairly good care of my security, so if you're asking for my SSN I'll decline. I don't know you. Woman Happy

But if you got your identity stolen and posted about it, I would blame the bad guy, not you. And I would blame anyone who should have protected your information and didn't. Criminals and people who did not live up to their positions of trust would be the ones in the wrong, not you.

I wouldn't pick that exact moment to tell you all about the myriad ways you could have avoided it, and therefore somehow brought it on yourself by your inattention. If something bad happened to you and I focused mostly on what you did wrong instead of what the bad guy did wrong, I would be putting myself on the side of the bad guy.

The timing of the safety lectures (and whom they are given to) is what makes them offensive to some.

Life Safety is a side conversation we have on this thread.

As a tenured member of this forum, you should be wise enough to

realize a thread can go many, many, many different directions.

Not once,

REPEAT

Not once.....has ANYONE said or IMPLIED this was the victim's fault.

Lort.

I'm slowly being to think....the 'stop blaming the victim' posters?

Projecting.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree her killing by officer was totally  wrong, i do have a question, it was said her front door was open from 10 pm, to early morning, i do not understand why someone would do that.

@goldensrbest 

it was said on several articles that i read that they were trying to cool the house down so they left the front door open. she could have forgotten about it.  i dont know if it had a locked screen door or not. it really doesnt matter. a family has the right to have any open windows or doors that they want. i know that i leave windows open all night long to get some fresh cool air inside.

But her open door caused concern for her neighbor and he called the police...I am not blaming the victim but had the neighbor not called this would not have occurred.The police officer did not do his job and it ended in tragedy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the Dallas Morning News a couple of hours ago:

A murder warrant for Aaron Dean, the Fort Worth officer who killed Atatiana Jefferson, tells what led up to the shooting from the perspective of her 8-year-old nephew, who was in the room with her when she was shot. The boy told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games together about 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she heard noises outside. She took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit.

So yes, there was a gun in the house.  And at the time of the shooting it was in the victim's hands.  Whether the cop saw it or a sillhouette of it and/or her holding it....  I guess it will come out at some point.

I DO NOT see the need for reports to say who was what color.  Both are/were human beings.  One is dead, killed by the other.  What difference does color make?

Save your breath about the system, blah, blah, blah.  News reports have nothing to do with the system and how it works.

eta...Oh, and want to add...PAYDAY!!!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree her killing by officer was totally  wrong, i do have a question, it was said her front door was open from 10 pm, to early morning, i do not understand why someone would do that.

@goldensrbest 

it was said on several articles that i read that they were trying to cool the house down so they left the front door open. she could have forgotten about it.  i dont know if it had a locked screen door or not. it really doesnt matter. a family has the right to have any open windows or doors that they want. i know that i leave windows open all night long to get some fresh cool air inside.

But her open door caused concern for her neighbor and he called the police...I am not blaming the victim but had the neighbor not called this would not have occurred.The police officer did not do his job and it ended in tragedy.

@dex  I read somewhere here that the call was for a wellness check and an open structure.  I heard the day after the shooting that a Special Response Team (similar to a SWAT team) was sent out. 

It makes me wonder at the conversation between the well-intentioned neighbor and the NON-emergency number that he/she called and how the call was dispatched. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SusieQ_2 

No harm, no foul, right?

(sarcasm)

Interesting that you would make such a statement considering the accusations being thrown around here at posters willy-nilly, and although I believe your comment was made with sincerity,  I disagree with you on several points.

Of course it's the bad guy that's to blamed in the case of stolen identity but there's much we can do to keep it from happening as well. You've already discussed how you try to take care of your own SSN so you know you're aware of how important taking precautions can be.

What you call a lecture, I call a discussion, and honestly I think you're using that word to make it seem as if talking about something that you might find uncomfortable, or untimely, is something others should feel guilty for--which I don't. 

I think, just as in the example above with the computer, that this is exactly the time to talk about these very important subjects. Putting it off and waiting for a repeat doesn't seem like too good a strategy to me. If you find that offensive, I'm sorry you do, but there are some things I found offensive in this thread as well and, honestly, if being offended is the worst thing that happens to me today I'll call that a win. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

There have been dozens of comments over the years from people who have guns in their homes. They all say they are prepared to draw their weapons and shoot if they perceive they are in danger. They sometimes boast about it.

Now, here we have a woman who heard a noise, saw a light outside in the wee hours of the morning. She got her gun and stood at the window to see what was going on. She was shot  dead by an un-announced police officer.

Where does that put us? Where does that put the police?

You can defend your home with a gun until you try to. 

We are out of control. The police are out of control. This nation's love affair with guns will be the end of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Back off every one ,just asking a question,  we can do that,right?

@goldensrbest   It's ok.  You are one of the least posters who should be accused of victim blaming. 

This thread has taken a turn about safety, not that the victim didn't do enough to keep herself safe.

Reading through I see nobody blaming the victim.

I see nothing to indicate that all cops get away with murder.  (Interestng that this accusation by some never showed up on the Guyger thread.)

I see nothing that indicates the cops will plant drugs to make her out a "bad" person.

All this speculation and harsh finger pointing at posters just trying to have a discussion is wrong.

Nobody cares who does or does not leave a window or a door open.

And once again-when people try so very hard to be "PC"-they  really are not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SusieQ_2 

No harm, no foul, right?

(sarcasm)

Life Safety is a side conversation we have on this thread.

As a tenured member of this forum, you should be wise enough to

realize a thread can go many, many, many different directions.

Not once,

REPEAT

Not once.....has ANYONE said or IMPLIED this was the victim's fault.

Lort.

I'm slowly being to think....the 'stop blaming the victim' posters?

Projecting.

@sidsmom   Some try too hard to be considered "PC".  And when they do, they really are not "PC".

It's the usual looking for something just to look for something to show the world how much better one is above everyone else.

It's tiring, annoying, baseless, and the biggest reason people do not get along.

It isn't guns that will be the end of us; it's the finger pointing at those who do not speak the "correct" way, use the "correct" words, and ultimately just are not sitting at the cool table.

And I though global warming/climate change was supposed to kill us off, btw.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh