Honored Contributor

Re: Fort Worth police officer

So many inaccuracies already being reported/assumed:

"It was just a welfare check"

Nope.

It was a welfare check AND open structure call.

Two totally different operating procedures for each.

Welfare check = knocking, addressing the resident

Open Structure Call = treated like a burglary 

"He could've waited for backup"

Nope.

He had a partner with him.

Was it bad police work?
Of course...no one is disputing that.  

Intentional? That's a far-out assumption, which will determined in court.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People who blame (eta: or nitpick all the activities of) victims for being too trusting (eta: or imperfect in some way) are sharing more than they realize about their own value systems.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't think it is fair to blame a victim. However, I think we all need to be vigilant about our safety. . The world is a dangerous place.

I think we need to be proactive about protecting  ourselves. I would rather not be considered an easy target ,by someone out looking for a victim. It is a shame this lady was killed by a nitwit. I feel very sorry for the family

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't think it is fair to blame a victim. However, I think we all need to be vigilant about our safety. . The world is a dangerous place.

I think we need to be proactive about protecting  ourselves. I would rather not be considered an easy target ,by someone out looking for a victim. It is a shame this lady was killed by a nitwit. I feel very sorry for the family

You realize it's too late for that. She's already dead. The crime has already been committed. All the millions of ways she might have potentially prevented her own death are completely moot. So the question is...why bring them up now after it is too late?

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Because it might not be too late for someone reading this, that needs to be a bit more careful, and  less trusting @Porcelain ..

Honored Contributor

I'm on all sorts of social media.

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

NO one...

repeat,

NO ONE,

is blaming the victim.

Where do people get this idea the victim is 'being blamed?'

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Because it might not be too late for someone reading this, that needs to be a bit more careful, and  less trusting @Porcelain ..

We need to never leave our doors open to enjoy the breeze at night because a neighbor might get concerned and call the police to check on us (because they trust the police) and we might get shot through our window?

Honored Contributor

I think she  didn't stop to think ,that a open door in a darkened house, late at night,  is dangerous. It would have been better to leave a light or 2 on, to let people know someone was at home..Police warn people for their own safety, about things like this..

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think she  didn't stop to think ,that a open door in a darkened house, late at night,  is dangerous. It would have been better to leave a light or 2 on, to let people know someone was at home..Police warn people for their own safety, about things like this..

Police warn people about other police?

Honored Contributor

NO , because there is usually no need. This is a terrible tragedy, and if one life can be saved by thinking ahead, it is good

I have posted about a friend of ours calling the PD when he discovered his home had been broken into. He called the PD, and  told them what had happened, and that he owned a gun

He told them he would wait for them on his front porch, with the gun, on the bottom step. When the car pulled up, he immediately put his hands in the air. He was being proactive.