Honored Contributor

Re: Fort Worth police officer

@sidsmom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have read that the door was open but the screen door was closed.

not sure exactly what the front door situation was.

why wouldnt the police knock on the door? why wouldnt the police call in through the screen door?

@sunshine45 

Because the 'secondary' part of the situation was...

the door was open for some time, into the middle of the

early morning. which overshadows the original welfare check.  
And an Open Structure call 
is handled like a robbery,

'not a courtesy welfare check. 

but that doesnt answer my question......why didnt they call or scream POLICE through the open screen door? i leave my door open and screen door closed, espcially if i want a breeze to go through. do i have to be worried about the police thinking something is going on in my home? what is the formal definition of an "open structure call?" also, should there may have been at least two police cars there if they thought it might be a burglary or something more sinister?

did even MORE people make a mistake than the two officers supposedly handling the situation?

-They would ID themselves when they found the threat...that's why

they don't announce themselves when the situation is still 'fluid'.

Yelling Police is like saying 'yep, we're right here with a big target

on our back!'  They have to determine what is going on to 

protect themselves. 

-Resident door open in the middle of the night....is unusual.

Obviously the neighbor thought it was odd.

-No need for 2 police cars...there were already 2 officers on the scene.

@sidsmom 

i still have lots of questions mainly because no one should have died.

to me, on a warm evening, a door open with a screen door closed is not necessarily unusual.

IF they thought they were in danger, why not call for backup prior to pulling a gun?

i am not in law enforcement and am interested in knowing what "open structure call" actually means and how they SHOULD handle it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom, what exact point are you trying to make? I don't understand your posts here. You seem worked up, but about what?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sidsmom, what exact point are you trying to make? I don't understand your posts here. You seem worked up, but about what?

I am?

I just thought we were sharing the facts, ma'am.

Lots of misunderstandings.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@sidsmom there are some folks (haven't seen it here, that I can recall) who are essentially "victim blaming" because AJs nephew stated she pulled a gun from her pocketbook. Since its her right to defend herself, @Ketra and I were discussing the NRAs silence in this case when they've been pretty verbal after other high profile cases.

@bathina 

I'm on all platforms of social media.

Not one is blaming the victim.

Where are people saying this?

"some people out there"..."some folks".....who are they?

@sidsmom  Others and even someone on this forum mentioned the relevance (or not of) “Jefferson, 28, took her handgun from her purse and pointed it “toward the window” before she was shot, the nephew said, according to the arrest-warrant affidavit”. 

We’re just saying this information is not relevant at all as she has the legal right to defend herself. 

Yeah.

And the sun came up in the East...and the sky is blue.

Facts are facts.

The person posting this is just posting information/testimony.

No more, no less.

My guess is people who continue to use the 'legal right to defend herself'

is doing so to create a certain false storyline....that no one believes.

@sidsmom  I don’t understand your irrational responses to the discussion Bathina and I were having regarding the case, or your intense anger over the discussion. However, I will not engage you in the future as I believe it won’t be fruitful for either one of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

🤷‍♀️M'Kay

Everyone seems to be focused on the 'she had a legal right!'.

Duh.

Of course she did.