Respected Contributor
The Fort Worth police officer who shot and killed Atatiana Jefferson has been arrested for her murder. I am happy to see this being taken seriously and people will be held accountable for her death. Her brother was on the news early today saying "The Fort Worth PD CANNOT investigate the Fort Worth PD". Agree. And about time.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fort Worth police officer

thanks for the followup @bathina .

i had heard that he quit the force, but had not heard this yet.

the go fund me that was started for her family is now close to $192K.

charged with murder and also faces possible civil rights violations.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add that the police chief has stated that it was a mistake for the Police department mentioning that there was a gun in the house since Texans are allowed to own firearms. The weapon had nothing to to do with the deceased being shot!

It was also stated by the Police Chief that if he had not resigned, he was going to be fired today anyway. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They need to look at training procedures  too. They also need to investigate the PD

Honored Contributor

What about her nephew? He's going to need so much help to deal with the trauma of what he witnessed and experienced. Heartbreaking to think about an 8 year old dealing with that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Was she the boy's legal guardian? I hope someone from the family can step in and care for the child. The poor child is going to need a lot of therapy. Imagine how terrible this is for him.He is probably frightened beyond belief..

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

They need to look at training procedures  too. They also need to investigate the PD

Add in-depth psychiatric screening over a period of time during training and into at least the first year on the job.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@cherry, from what I know, Atatiana was babysitting her nephew, her sister's child, so the little boy does have a family. The poor child. How does one ever get over something like this?
Esteemed Contributor

Have you seen the video?  Never identified himself as police.  "Put your hands up" and started shooting instantly.  It's on TMZ.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Have you seen the video?  Never identified himself as police.  "Put your hands up" and started shooting instantly.  It's on TMZ.

Woman Mad Woman Sad Woman Surprised 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson