Honored Contributor

Re: Former Hollywood Exec Accuses Bill Cosby of Sexual Assault

On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

ILikeShade: I'm talking about journalistic ethics and standards here. I always required proof before I printed something regardless of whether I thought someone would sue. Their job is to vet information and require proof, not to print 45-year-old allegations that cannot be substantiated. That the number of accusers suggest he is guilty doesn't relieve them of the need to seek proof before printing accusations.

You are simply wrong. They are being reported as allegations, not truth.

And their job IS to include the 45 year old allegations, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Neither side can win anything. The women are speaking out and I give them credit for doing so - just look here how some feel the women are lying and looking for $$$. It isn't easy for any woman to step up and speak the truth.

As far as Cosby, he can't prove he did/didn't do this anymore than the woman can prove he did at this late stage. Just because he isn't suing for defamation doesn't make him still guilty, although imo he is.

I think he's just letting it all slide right by him and not rattling any cages. Besides, what would he even be awarded even if he did sue them and/or win? Nothing.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

I'm surprised the press is putting out stories like this from 45 years ago. I tend to believe there's a problem because all these women aren't likely to be lying. However, how do they know that any given story is completely the truth? Reporters and editors are duty bound to ask for solid proof before publishing accusations such as this. It's unethical for the media to all just jump on the bandwagon of this story and print accusations without solid proof just because others have come forward.

It's not unethical at all. It would be unethical for them to NOT report it. Hiding the allegations would empower others to attempt to get away with the same thing, in fact, that was the pattern for years.

Reporters have to be careful HOW they present at story, which is why they clearly point out these reports are allegations, not verifiable fact.

That's not so, NoelSeven. They should not report something from decades ago for which no proof exists. It's not the press's job to make sure others don't try to get away with the same thing. It's their job to require proof before they print even allegations. What seems to have happened is that someone brought this out on social media (am I remembering this correctly?) and the floodgates opened. That others make charges does not make a particular unsubstantiated story more credible, it seems to me. The basic standard is that some proof of the allegations is required before publication.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Cakers1 said:

Neither side can win anything. The women are speaking out and I give them credit for doing so - just look here how some feel the women are lying and looking for $$$. It isn't easy for any woman to step up and speak the truth.

As far as Cosby, he can't prove he did/didn't do this anymore than the woman can prove he did at this late stage. Just because he isn't suing for defamation doesn't make him still guilty, although imo he is.

I think he's just letting it all slide right by him and not rattling any cages. Besides, what would he even be awarded even if he did sue them and/or win? Nothing.

Cakers....I was under the impression that if a publication or news outlet reports something that is false and it impacts their livelihood, which it definitely has, he could sue and win.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Ilikeshade said:

Cakers....I was under the impression that if a publication or news outlet reports something that is false and it impacts their livelihood, which it definitely has, he could sue and win.

You are correct, ILikeShade. The publication would have had to know it was false or show a reckless disregard for the truth.

Super Contributor

Found: Nothing has been proven false. How can it? If a more recent case involving Cosby turned up no DNA or other physical evidence and/or witnesses, and the woman and/or media kept saying Cosby did it, that's different.

But these woman will never be able to prove it but also Cosby cannot disprove the allegations either. It's a stalemate.

Respected Contributor

Physical proof is not always available in the case of rape, even rape that occurred recently. There need be no bruises or outward signs of violence in order for a rape to have occurred. If a woman showers away evidence there would also be no proof.

The media is reporting the accounts of women who said they were assaulted. As Noel pointed out, they are careful to define the accounts as "alleged".

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Ok.

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

You are correct, ILikeShade. The publication would have had to know it was false or show a reckless disregard for the truth.

I think we are crossing two issues. My post was meant to address as to why Cosby isn't suing for defamation and therefore he must be guilty. I understand the responsibilities of the media.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Ms X said:

I think we are crossing two issues. My post was meant to address as to why Cosby isn't suing for defamation and therefore he must be guilty. I understand the responsibilities of the media.

Yes, Cakers. I agree with your points about the practicalities of this case. You are spot on. I am disturbed that the media prints 45-year-old allegations without presenting any proof. I read the article, and it's all just her story. As I said, I don't think all these women are just making it up. At the same time, it's all being reported in the absence of any proof in many cases. That's not right.