Honored Contributor

Former DC Area Residents: Goodbye to Pat Lawson Muse of NBC Washington

[ Edited ]

When Wendy Rieger died and Doreen Gentzler retired, I posted of these life transitions for the two prominent DC area news anchors and heard back from some of you.  You appreciated knowing the news.

Well, now Pat Lawson Muse has called it a day.  Many of us have enjoyed her professional and calm manner of presenting the news for several decades.  Farewell, Pat, and have a wonderful retirement!

NBC Washington anchor Pat Lawson Muse retires. (Courtesy NBC Washington)

Longtime NBC Washington anchor Pat Lawson Muse delivered her final broadcast at News4 on Friday, putting the exclamation point on a 40-plus-year career with the station.

In the 1970s, Lawson Muse was the afternoon drive-time anchor for WTOP. She made history with News4 in 1982 as part of the first all-female local news team in the country alongside co-anchor Barbara Harrison.

In the years that followed, she would cover assignments that took her across the country to places such as San Ysidro, California, where a gunman massacred 21 people inside a McDonald’s in 1984, and New Jersey, where Pope John Paul ll visited in 1995.

As a reporter at NBC Washington, Lawson Muse went on to cover the local issues that affected people living and working in the D.C. region.

During her farewell speech Friday, Lawson Muse reflected on her experiences leading one of News4’s philanthropic efforts.

“A significant part of the good work that I’ve had the opportunity to do has been with many of you, our viewers, and our partners in the community, collecting backpacks for kids, as well as food and funds to feed families at Thanksgiving,” she said. “I am so very proud to have been the face of our Food for Families campaign for so many decades.”

After working with the likes of Jim Vance, Doreen Gentzler, Wendy Rieger, Bob Ryan, Arch Campbell and George Michael, she finished her career anchoring afternoons and evenings with a team that included Leon Harris, Doug Kammerer, Amelia Draper and Erika Gonzalez.

Gentzler retired last Noveafter 33 years; Rieger died last April after battling cancer.

“These have without a doubt been some of the best, most, rewarding years of my life,” Lawson Muse said, signing off her final newscast. “I will miss being with you each weekday afternoon, and I’ll miss my NBC4 family, but now I get to begin and enjoy a new season and new sunrises, and I look forward to that.”

Eun Yang will fill the anchor seat left by Lawson Muse’s retirement. Former WUSA9 Anchor Tony Perkins will join in the mornings to fill Yang’s place.

•  

Respected Contributor

Re: Former DC Area Residents: Goodbye to Pat Lawson Muse of NBC Washington

I will miss Pat. 

We are losing so many anchors that became part of our day to day life.  We were fortunate to have so many great ones on NBC4.

My favorites will always be Jim and Doreen...I miss them.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

She was so great at her job.  Always so professional. I'll miss her!  I'll miss Eun Yang in the mornings.

(I Hope Jim Handley never leaves!!!!!!!!!)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

I'm still trying to get over Wendy R and Doreen, so Pat's departure is sad news.  Although, I knew it was coming.

She's had a very long run and was perfection in terms of a news anchor.  Smart, informed and polished.  A joy to listen to and watch.  I don't recall ever seeing her flustered.

Did you see the little segment from Barbara (I forget her last name) saying goodbye.  She did the "Wednesday's Child" for many years and was also fab.

It seems strange watching them go and feeling sad, but you spend time with them and they become so familiar!

Pat was a real diamond and I do hope she enjoys her next act.  

Honored Contributor

Witchy Woman, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Pat Lawson Muse.  She personified professionalism.

BARBARA HARRISON.  I think that was Barbara's full name.  Pat's retirement reminded me of her, and then I began wondering if I missed Barbara's retirement.  I haven't thought of her in a long time, but she was certainly memorable.  Another local gem who had beauty and brains.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I guess, this is one of the casualities of aging,  seeing familiar & nice ppl, come & go, one way or another..  So many familiar from DC & the Metro DC area

Pat Lawson Muse  -

CONGRATULATIONS!   and Well Wishes for Happy, & Fulfilling Retirement!  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

You know, I don't remember a big going off for Barbara, but I was working then and might have missed it.  

Seems to me she just appeared less and less and was finally not on.  However, I'm sure they must have done something for her.

She had such a gentle way about her when reporting and doing the Wednesday's Child segments.  I thought I read once where she had adopted children.  Maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyway, I am sad to see them all moving on because....well, it means I'm getting OLD too!  Gosh, I moved to Maryland in 1973 and worked in Washington for 38 years....so, the years add up!  Yikes!

Trusted Contributor

@golding76   My favorite was JC Hayward. IMHO, she was best TV news anchor ever. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bless you, FiddleDeeDee!  You are so right!  She was the best!  Channel 9 for J. C.!

One day my office in Northern Virginia sent me to their Capitol Hill office to work.  As luck would have it, that day J. C. was on assignment on the street right outside that office.

After I spotted her, I couldn't help myself.  Spontaneously, I yelled out, "J. C.!  J. C.!!!"  At the same time, I waved my hand about over my head to say hello. Sweetheart that she was, she looked directly at me, gave me her 1,000-watt smile and yelled back in a very friendly manner, "Hi there!"

It was one of the dearest things of that sort that ever happened to me.

She carried that channel.

JC-Hayward | AFRO American Newspapers

J. C. Hayward