Honored Contributor

Re: Forget the Heat - Get Ready For The Big Chill

@AuntG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Uggggh!  I pray they are wrong!  When you get to be my age, you do not want this kind of weather.  DH and I have physical problems and it is very difficult for us to dig out.  Also, I have to go to work every day still and digging out and driving on slippery roads every day is just terrible.  Every day I am a nervous wreck.

I feel for you.  Driving to work on bad roads is the worst.  My DH clears our driveway and that of our next door neighbor.  If it weren't for him, we'd all be holed up in our houses over winter.

@AuntG

You are fortunate that you have someone to look out for you and help you!  What a blessing!  We have no one here.  There are very few kids around and the ones that are, are too lazy to help you even offering them a few bucks.  We really can't afford to pay for a professional snow removal company.  We tried last year to find someone reasonable and couldn't find anyone.  Neighbors just don't care about each other here. Sad but true.  When DH and I were younger and in better health, we'd help our neighbors.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I feel your pain, @AngelPuppy1!  Especially for people like you, older and still in the work force, I hope the winter isn't too severe.

The last winter that I worked here in the Midwest was the 2014-2015 season and one of the worst for slipping and sliding.  It really worked my nerves.

Although last winter was mild and I was retired, I still had to stay in due to icy conditions sometimes.  I hate winter...period.  Fall is my season of choice.  Not too hot and not too cold.  Pring can be cold and snowy up until the end of April here.

@Mmsfoxxie

Yes, it's quite trying!  I truthfully wouldn't mind it that much if I didn't work and could stay home when it got bad.  But it is very stressful when you get up every morning and look outside and it's ---- oh, my gosh --- so terrible out -- and you have to go outside and dig yourself out --- and then after that ---- face the slippery, icy roads and all the other "nuts" on the road.  By the time you get to work, you are so nervous and exhausted, you feel like you already put in a day's work!  All day I worry about what the weather is doing!  Then, when it's time to go home --- the same thing all over again!  Winter is not for old, sick people!!!!  Woman Sad

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, Did you have to do that visual? LOL  Oh well, winter is winter, have plenty to do, for self-entertainment, some emergency food and water, and dog supplies.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

You all come on down to Tx. Blizzard don't last to long down here when the sun comes out melts everything pretty fast.

I don't miss those Ind. gut buster winters at all LOL

@SharkE,

** Note to self:  put Sharke at top of who to visit this winter. ROFLOL

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart !

smilies0231.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I am originally from upstate NY those winters do not scare me. I am about done with the summer. Heat, Humidity the bugs. It is He-- for me. I am looking forward to it. The winter that is. Can not come fast enough for me!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised.

We haven't had a sunny summer day in I don't know how long.  Not one all summer in San Francisco.  It's been in the 50s or low 60s for months.

And the real giveaway?  Our Persians have been growing hefty coats already.

Shoekitty said

It has been hot here 90 miles South of you.  I expect the real heat here will come next week and mid September!  I hope we have a colder Winter.  I am tired of wearing flip flops in November and December and only being able to wear sweaters 2 weeks out of the year.  

Does the Almanac predict rain?  That's what I want!,,  El Niño was a real bust for us.

It really makes a huge difference whether you're on the coast or inland. I'm about 90-100 mi south of @Noel7, about 4-1/2 mi from the ocean. Our temps all summer have been in the 60s, and low 70s only a few days. Coming from LA, I think this is heaven. But yes, 15+ miles inland and a bit north it's been 95-100 much of the summer. I go visit for a couple of hours and then come back to the cool 😍

Rain-wise, I do think El Nino was a bust for CA 😟

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Being in Central Florida, I'd love a Big Chill! Even a small one would be welcome! Maybe I will get to wear my suede jacket a few more days this winter than last! 

Regular Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

As I age, I wonder why so many people continue to live in the northeast and midwest (including myself!). There are some who love winter, but most are on the tolerate it/hate it side of the fence.

And I'm sure it is just an age thing, but winters seem longer every year. I'd be just as happy to see snow and cold from December 15 to January 15 and be done with it. 

For many of us it's where our work is.

I've lived in both the Northeast and Midwest.  I don't much like a lot of the weather but I'm sort of used to it.

I'd prefer San Diego or Hawaii, but there's nothing there for rme in my current field of work.  Heck, there isn't much where I am now.  I'm clinging to what I've got.

Ditto. My work is tied to Washington DC and moving isn't in the cards unless I win the lottery and can immediately retire.

Honored Contributor

I read about this on my weather app the other day.

I wonder if this will come to be.  Right now the weather is pointing towards hurricane activity heating up again. Farmer's almanac called for something in August 21st time area for east coast.  

I do get weekly updates from Farmers almanac about weather trends, and other articles that are interesting.