Honored Contributor

Re: Forget the Heat - Get Ready For The Big Chill

I do believe this winter will be brutal as the Farmer's Almanac has forecast. Thankfully, I am retired and will plan to stay indoors at home as much as possible. I won't schedule any appointments unless they are absolutely necessary. Driving is the worst, people take too many risks on our snowcovered and icy roads.  I am purchasing some nice throws and sweaters to make me happy and will stock my freezer with Schwan's items. Hot beverages are a must for me, I always like to be prepared.

Honored Contributor

i am ready for it.......and no, i will not be wishing that it was 100 degrees!

i find it so much easier to make yourself warm than it is to keep yourself cool.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

After the heat and humidity of this summer, me and my Ariens snowblower are ready :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I saw the stories about this.  I'm wondering how accurate the Farmer's Almanac is.  I remember them being wrong at least sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

You all come on down to Tx. Blizzard don't last to long down here when the sun comes out melts everything pretty fast.

I don't miss those Ind. gut buster winters at all LOL

@SharkE  I had a co-worker when I lived in West Texas who was from Amarillo.  She showed me photos of their yard after a snowstorm with 10ft drifts.  Don't be so sure it will always melt fast.

I had 3 relatives, teens at the time, who started home from a church social in far SW Kansas (Meade), got lost in a blizzard and all were found dead.  This was in early 1900s. The high plains have had some vicious blizzards.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised.

We haven't had a sunny summer day in I don't know how long.  Not one all summer in San Francisco.  It's been in the 50s or low 60s for months.

And the real giveaway?  Our Persians have been growing hefty coats already.

Shoekitty said

It has been hot here 90 miles South of you.  I expect the real heat here will come next week and mid September!  I hope we have a colder Winter.  I am tired of wearing flip flops in November and December and only being able to wear sweaters 2 weeks out of the year.  

Does the Almanac predict rain?  That's what I want!,,  El Niño was a real bust for us.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

You all come on down to Tx. Blizzard don't last to long down here when the sun comes out melts everything pretty fast.

I don't miss those Ind. gut buster winters at all LOL

@SharkE  I had a co-worker when I lived in West Texas who was from Amarillo.  She showed me photos of their yard after a snowstorm with 10ft drifts.  Don't be so sure it will always melt fast.

I had 3 relatives, teens at the time, who started home from a church social in far SW Kansas (Meade), got lost in a blizzard and all were found dead.  This was in early 1900s. The high plains have had some vicious blizzards

Yeah, it can drift . I just stay home and don't venture out.  Wait till it clears.  Think I would had skipped church that night.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're not always right. But if you live here in PA like I do, well Winter including snow and cold is inevitable.

I prefer this heat and haven't complained about any of it! (just the electric bills lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

It snowed for a couple hours one night last season in Arkansas, and it was all melted by noon.  I love it when it snows, because everything shuts down here including work and school.  They don't know how to deal with cleaning it up, and people don't know how to drive in it, so everything is shut down until it melts.  So, I'm hoping for lots of snow.