Respected Contributor

Forever "New Hope"

[ Edited ]

May be a black-and-white image of 5 people and text that says 'NEW HOPE'

American soldier reunites with his wife at train station fittingly named "New Hope." US, 1945.

I love this picture of a WWII hero returning home from the war at the "New Hope" station.  The smiles of the man and woman watching are wonderful.  It was quite an era in this history of this country.

I just watched "Band Of Brothers" (missed it the first time around).  It is the story of Easy Company, their training, and infamous battles they were involved in.  If you missed it, it is well worth your time.

They truly were and will always be the Greatest Generation.  They sacrificed so much.  As years past, most of them are gone now.  Many of us had fathers and mothers involved in WWII so we know their stories.  I have tried to give all the info I have to my children and grandchildren.

Hopefully, through books and movies, future generations will realize the brave soldiers their ancestors were.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha  What an iconic photo. I had not seen that before. That's the New Hope, PA Station! It's still there as far as I know. The steam train that operates from this station is a Bucks County tourist attraction. I think it was due to be torn down at one time, but a group of concerned business people restored it.

Valued Contributor

That picture brought back nice memories.  My uncle was coming home by public transportation since no one had a car, from the Army.  We were all on the front porch watching for him.  My aunt (then his fiancé) saw him first and ran to him and they ended up in almost the same pose. I can still remember what she was wearing, many many years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Mersha  Thank you for this photo and the writing.  My parents were that generation and my mother drove the General around when my father was based at Camp Gordon, Georgia.  She drove a Jeep for the General.  It's important for all of us to remember what happened in the past and to let our children understand what happened. 

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mersha  What an iconic photo. I had not seen that before. That's the New Hope, PA Station! It's still there as far as I know. The steam train that operates from this station is a Bucks County tourist attraction. I think it was due to be torn down at one time, but a group of concerned business people restored it.

@PA Mom-mom   Thanks for the additional info!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF