Honored Contributor

Re: Ford to move to Mexico, build $1.6B plant, employ 2800

@hckynut wrote:

@SahmIam

There are quite a few more reasons for "death traps" in our country, and small vehicles is way down the list. Start looking at stats of driving under the influence/driving while drunk, and driving while talking/texting, and plain just not having 100% focus on driving.

Small vehicles are not the problem for motor vehicle fatalities, that belongs to the people that are concerned about things other than driving, while they are supposedly driving.

hckynut(john

In Washington State it is now  THC in the drivers blood along with alcohol.....thanks to pot being made legal.

Esteemed Contributor

Gasoline prices are low so people are buying trucks, SUV and larger cars.  As soon as gas prices go up everyone will be trading their cars in for smaller fuel efficient ones.  Unfortunately US plants will suffer because the smaller desirable cars will be made in Mexico.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regulations in this country are in place for a reason and usually those reasons are job safety and or enviromental safety.   Other countries general don't care what conditions their workers are forced to endure nor do they care what they do to their local water supply, soil, and air quality.   We also don't make it a habit to de-value our currency like some of these other countries who have lower costs for wages and living, including lower living standards.  Even if these corporations paid no tax in this country they are still going to go where they can get cheap labor with zero or next to nothing regulations or liabilty responsibilty to workers and the enviroment.    

Honored Contributor

Samhm:  I'm planning to lease a small four-door car. (Haven't decided which make/model yet.)  But, I'm not going to drive it on fast-moving freeways.  Also, as I've been noticing re: small mini-cars, The two door types have the least amount of space between the rear bumper and the front seats (driver/passenger area).  So, I'm thinking that having a four door  mini-car will have more of a 'buffer zone' between the rear bumper and the front seats.  Just in case of a rear-end collision.  Anyway...........for fast moving freeway driving (with drivers texting (a lot around here) ), it's probably better to drive larger cars with more solid metal surrounding the passengers.  JMO, and of course, depending on the area. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Henry Ford used to say that he wanted to build a car that his employees could afford to buy. Apparently, the current powers-that-be at Ford have forgotten that notion. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Slightly off topic;  (I've said this several times before):  Aren't we very, very fortunate that we have such good neighbors along our borders?  We don't have to worry about 'all out wars' with them.  Canada and Mexico are 'friendly' (not our enemies) countries.  Think about what kind of a mess we would be in if our country were situated somewhere else in the world.  Or if one of our bordering countries were at war with us.  I've often thought of this throughout the years.  (I know, nothing is absolutely 'perfect', but consider the not-so-good alternatives right now.)  Edited:  I meant a country as a whole; strategically speaking.  Having a somewhat 'friendly' country, policy-wise, (vrs. violent wars) along our border. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@nominom wrote:

Regulations in this country are in place for a reason and usually those reasons are job safety and or enviromental safety.   Other countries general don't care what conditions their workers are forced to endure nor do they care what they do to their local water supply, soil, and air quality.   We also don't make it a habit to de-value our currency like some of these other countries who have lower costs for wages and living, including lower living standards.  Even if these corporations paid no tax in this country they are still going to go where they can get cheap labor with zero or next to nothing regulations or liabilty responsibilty to workers and the enviroment.    

These companies are not building in third world countries.  This plant will probably be state of the art, taking advantage of current technology and safety procedures.  The problem is that you have so many rules and regulations in this country that many are just throwing up their hands and leaving for friendlier countries.  True story.....OSHA inspector was at a plant to investigate an incident.  She saw an excivation that a subcontractor was doing, not even in the same building as the incident she was there for.  Regulations allow for a depth of 60 inches.  She walked all aroung the excivation with a measuring stick till she found 1 place that measured 61 inches.  The subcontractor was sited for a violation.  Why would companies want to continue to do business in that type of environment. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I saw this on the news last night. 

It just makes me laugh when people insist that we should buy "American" cars. 

Ohio is full of Honda's made in Ohio, but people would rather drive a Ford made in Mexico.

Cars are 'international' now, Not really exclusively containing parts from any one country.

I don't like the loss of any American jobs right now, especially high paying, good benefit manufacturing. We are shooting ourselves in the foot by moving our manufacturing out.

My new 2016 Honda Civic was made in Canada.

Ford will make other cars in the current plant. http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/14/autos/ford-small-cars-mexico/

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@nominom wrote:

These companies are not building in third world countries.  This plant will probably be state of the art, taking advantage of current technology and safety procedures.  The problem is that you have so many rules and regulations in this country that many are just throwing up their hands and leaving for friendlier countries.  True story.....OSHA inspector was at a plant to investigate an incident.  She saw an excivation that a subcontractor was doing, not even in the same building as the incident she was there for.  Regulations allow for a depth of 60 inches.  She walked all aroung the excivation with a measuring stick till she found 1 place that measured 61 inches.  The subcontractor was sited for a violation.  Why would companies want to continue to do business in that type of environment. 

This is why we have rules in place -- they are made for a reason. If a company wants to skirt the rules, it eventually impacts everyone.

61" is just as bad as 59". 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Slightly off topic;  (I've said this several times before):  Aren't we very, very fortunate that we have such good neighbors along our borders?  We don't have to worry about 'all out wars' with them.  Canada and Mexico are 'friendly' (not our enemies) countries.  Think about what kind of a mess we would be in if our country were situated somewhere else in the world.  Or if one of our bordering countries were at war with us.  I've often thought of this throughout the years.  (I know, nothing is absolutely 'perfect', but consider the not-so-good alternatives right now.)

Hasn't there been a lot of negative talk about one of those?

Oh, well, guess I'd better not go there.  hahaha

Looking at what many in the world are dealing with, I'd say we are extremely fortunate.