Honored Contributor

Re: Ford to move to Mexico, build $1.6B plant, employ 2800

@SahmIam wrote:

There was a very interesting article about this on my live feed via my phone. Have NO idea where it could be found now (they don't link the source carrying the story) but it made some very interesting points.

One being that the Mexicans are job hopping between car manufacturers. They are holding out for more pay, better benefits and will leave and go to a competitor if they get a better offer. Employee stealing is very common. Many of the big names can't find enough employees to work in the plants and are offering signing bonuses, cash upfront and more.

Yes, the savings is still significant but as more manufacturers move to Mexico (and apparently there is an area they are all moving to) they are now facing difficulty hiring because the citizens are demanding better pay, working environment, benefits and contracts. I smile at the irony of it all.

Ford said they were moving the small car division there because the bigger demand is for trucks and crossover SUV's. I believe that based on what I'm seeing on the road as well as an article as to why Muscle Cars are not selling. My 16 old is driving a Ford Fusion but when he BUYS a car himself, he wants a truck. My next car will be a SUV; all my neighbors are driving Crossovers. There is not a small/compact car to be seen. And yes, it may be my area; highway from hell.... so little cars are though of as a death-trap by commuters.

Most people I know in this country will go to a competitor if they are offered a better deal.

Esteemed Contributor

My heart aches for the people who will be losing their jobs.....and, yes, brings a tear, too, for our country.  The almighty dollar.  What about a little human compassion?

Honored Contributor

The drainning of American jobs, continues,SHAME.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

While I agree it would be better if they would build a new plant here, when you do some research that includes their full statement, you will find the more info.  From USA Today and other news sources:

"In Michigan, Ford's announcement didn't come as a great surprise. Ford has said it continues to invest heavily in its U.S. plants and isn't cutting jobs here. Last fall, the automaker made a commitment to invest $9 billion in U.S. plants, with about half going to 11 facilities in Michigan. The deal created or retained more than 8,500 jobs as part of a new four-year contract with the United Auto Workers union, a net increase in the U.S."

So before you think about boycotting Ford, don't forget they still employ people here in the US and a boycott only hurts those employees. 

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

My heart aches for the people who will be losing their jobs.....and, yes, brings a tear, too, for our country.  The almighty dollar.  What about a little human compassion?

Seriously would you rather the company tank and everyone lose their jobs? Ford has tried staying a float after taking bailout money to pay back loans in 2009. And help fund their future development. 

Every industry has had to retool to save itself. It is unfortunate but it is what it is. 

Honored Contributor

If opening the plants there can help save the plants here then more power to them.  Whatever needs to be done to secure jobs for America I can understand.  Like it? No, but respect that an effort is being made in some form or fashion instead of letting everything go under.

As with any boycott, you are hurting the workers more than the owners.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot  You missed the point the article was making (and I wrote about): manufacturers are SURPRISED because many thought (wrongly) that they would be SO grateful for the jobs that they would work there for almost nothing. The big 3 have constantly complained (as have many Americans) that Unions killed the ability for them to make a profit due to employees demanding fair wages, benefits, etc.

So lets go to a country that will be happy to work for the least amount because they just want the work and will take anything we offer them.

WRONG. They are demanding what their American counterparts have and it's NOT what the companies expected and causing issues and concern for their profits. Hence, the irony.

Honored Contributor

Being a Ford Motor man, and one that raced that brand for many years, to say I am sad to see this happen. I ordered many custom built cars from them over the years, all I believe were made in the United States.

I think most here know the reason so many manufactu

ers have left the United States and moved to other countries. I have my own theories as to the why of these moves, but will leave it at that. Most say it is the money and I see no. reason not to believe them.

Unless something drastically changes, I see no reason to think these fleeing large companies will change their methods. Whatever it takes to improve/ preserve or increase their profit margin.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Business people will do whatever is good for the bottom line of their business. The only thing that matters is profits. Not people. Anyone who thinks that a business person is looking out for them is very naive. It's all about dollars and cents and the profit margin. Money is their diety much like the golden calf.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  You missed the point the article was making (and I wrote about): manufacturers are SURPRISED because many thought (wrongly) that they would be SO grateful for the jobs that they would work there for almost nothing. The big 3 have constantly complained (as have many Americans) that Unions killed the ability for them to make a profit due to employees demanding fair wages, benefits, etc.

So lets go to a country that will be happy to work for the least amount because they just want the work and will take anything we offer them.

WRONG. They are demanding what their American counterparts have and it's NOT what the companies expected and causing issues and concern for their profits. Hence, the irony.

They should demand it. It is American ignorance that thinks outside this country you will find fools.