Esteemed Contributor

Re: Forced banking online, or by appointment only

I visit two banks in my area and go in either if I need to speak with someone. Haven't had a problem at all.

When paying bills, I do that online.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Thank you for taking the time to explain it, because I really didn't understand your original comments.  I also had never heard of USAA, so I wondered what area you live in.

Banks and banking are changing, and much of it was triggered by the pandemic.   

Last year I opened a Capital One account for Ebay business only, and only vaguely recall seeing Cap One offices all over Los Angeles.  Lo and behold, actual Cap One offices are gone, but they have six no-fee ATMs within a 5 mile radius of me.   So, it's not what I expected, but it can work for my needs.   

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   Same here.  I go to the bank weekly. If they start to play games, I will switch banks.  

We have three accounts including our business.  It would be a pain to switch but I would if forced.

Trusted Contributor

The bank I go to has NO forced on line banking. I don't need an appointment EVER.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last time I was in a bank was in 2019.  So far no appointments for me.  I do all online banking, pay bills, pay credit cards, transfer funds, etc.  Direct deposit for just about everything. 

Regular Contributor

Being somewhat handicapped it isn't easy not having a drive thru and having to walk into the bank.

And what about mothers with young kids getting them in and out of their carseats?

We closed out BA account as instead of visiting the one 5 minutes away, we had to go 12 miles to bank.  Great at today's gas prices.

Honored Contributor

I deal with a small, local savings and loan.  It's nice because we still get personal service but the downside is, there are only 5 branches in my entire state.  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Here in the Seattle WA. Area we have bank robberies all the time. No wonder banks want to do one line only

In Philadelphia the entire ATM machine is being taken. Several friends and other people told me they would drive to their bank for money and instead of an ATM machine there were big slabs of plywood.

@drizzellla    lately we have had thefts of ATM machines all over the place here too.. they tie a rope up to it and pull it off the foundation... a couple of weeks ago there were like three of these thefts of ATMs.  I can see where we soon will have no where  to go to take care of banking needs....

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BlueFinch 

Thank you for taking the time to explain it, because I really didn't understand your original comments.  I also had never heard of USAA, so I wondered what area you live in.

Banks and banking are changing, and much of it was triggered by the pandemic.   

Last year I opened a Capital One account for Ebay business only, and only vaguely recall seeing Cap One offices all over Los Angeles.  Lo and behold, actual Cap One offices are gone, but they have six no-fee ATMs within a 5 mile radius of me.   So, it's not what I expected, but it can work for my needs.   

@Tinkrbl44 

USAA Is a bank whose members consist of All branches of the military, Veterans and their dependents.

As a Veteran I have a few accounts with them. However, they are not my primary bank.  I communicate with them primarily online and sometimes by phone. I have never had a need to go inside a branch.  Myself and others have posted that we have never experienced problems. Like all institutions everyone has experiences that are unique to them. :-)

Respected Contributor

My BOA branch closed recently after 26 years.  I fully use online banking for everything even deposits.  The only time I used the bank was to cash savings bonds, open a new account or access my safety deposit box.  I have several ATM's nearby by if I need to obtain cash and I am not charged a fee by BOA for using them.

For me, online banking is an absolute pleasure, I can access my account anytime during the day or night, pay bills, transfer funds at any time that is convenient for me, no appointment necessary!