Esteemed Contributor

Re: For you married folks, were you terribly stressed on your wedding day?

Stressed....because my hubby's parents told my parents they would pay half because they had a large list of people that they wanted to invite. At the last minute they said they changed their minds and stuck my parents with the whole bill. I had 500 people at my wedding. I was 19.

Needless to say it caused hard feelings and stress until they died. My mother always treated my hubby badly even though he is a good guy ....and he NEVER said a bad word about her...ever....

Honored Contributor

For me, the only stress was about "stuff" with  the actual wedding (that my hair would be good, getting to the church on time, the attendants getting to the church on time, the ring fitting, etc.), never a second thought about who I was giving myself to or actually being married.  I guess I picked well, we had a courtship and engagement that covered a 4 yr. span before marrying and we'll be celebrating our 37th anniversary early next month.  Heart 

Honored Contributor

I was excited but stressed? No. Back in the day ('78) your wedding planner was your mom. It was for me. We laugh at the photos of my wedding reception. My mom "the boss" walking around making sure everything was done to perfection! Couldn't have done it without her! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I was stressed big time, but not because I was worried about all the details and the venders.  I am very introverted and the thought of being the center of attention all day (The. Bride.) stressed me out.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Of course, I stressed on wedding day.  I'd have cause to worry if I wasn't.  I was 23, we planned my wedding for a year. It was the biggest day of my life and all eyes would be on me throughout it all.  The dress, the hair, 125 guests.  My reception was outside, so I worried about the weather.  I don't care how large or small a wedding is, all weddings are stressful.  If it isn't.....something's wrong.  

Respected Contributor

We'd already lived together for 5 years so no.  We went to Las Vegas and got married in between drinking and gambling. Smiley Happy   That was almost 35 years ago and we still like each other.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was stressed over the fact that I HAD to get married - all and only for the mere fact that we HAD to produce a marriage cert for insurance purpose to keep my 'hubby' on mine after I retired.

We lived in sin for 35 years !!!!!! before needing to tie the knot.

It was a very simple drive downtown to the courthouse, no one there except me, hubby & the judge.  The bride wore black -  oh yes she did, and a crochet ivory shrug, a lovely ivory silk flower pin. It was on Friday May 13th - I picked the date on purpose!!!!  No rings involved - WHY??!! 

"I do (me), I do (him)" - DONE.

BTW - that silk flower he found at a jewelry show we had been at years before that he thought was lovely.  Bought it for me as a surprise.  Little did he know how, when, where, and why I'd be wearing it.  Looked beautiful on my shrug.

And like you Ms Debc - we too are still friends!!!   LOL

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  That's great, we got married for financial reasons as well. 

My niece lived with her ex long enough to have 4 kids with him, they decided they should get married.  The kids were flower girls, big wedding and the whole shebang.  It didn't last a year after the wedding.  Luckily she found her a keeper after that.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@luv-the-Q wrote:

@muttmom,

Actually, a lot of us did live together in the early 70's and we're still together.  My husband and I lived together and married in 1972.  We are still together after 43 years.  I knew several couples that lived together before marriage.  Most that lived together before they married are not together now, but neither are the ones that didn't live together before marriage.  Back then, we thought of ourselves as unconventional and very hip.  Now we are unconventional, because we've been married for so long.  Who would have thunk it? Smiley Happy

and even if they didn't live together, couples were still having sex - my mom certainly had sex with my dad before they were married - my sister is proof of that!! haha

Did I mention anything about pre-marital sex?

Honored Contributor

On the day I was not at all stressed rather relieved the day was finally here.  The months leading up to the wedding were hectic as both sets of parents were in NJ, I was in college in Wisconsin, my soon-to-be husband and the wedding site were in Indiana and we'd be moving to North Carolina after our honeymoon.  Luckily my sister had married at the same place the year before so I was able to use all her contacts.

My in-laws were not happy with anything but no matter where the wedding was, they would have been miserable.

It was a beautiful, joyous and long awaited day, as we met in kindergarten.  In June we celebrated our 44th anniversary.