Respected Contributor

Re: For those who like looking up at the stars...

@Susan Louise wrote:

"The 2015 Perseid meteor shower will peak around August 11. A new moon on August 14, 2015 will create perfect conditions for watching the meteor shower."

HERE is more info for those interested...

DH and I are looking forward to seeing it again this year...hoping for clear skies in our area Smiley Happy

Hey thanks for this information.........I'll be out watching on the 14th.......last one I saw, I was at the beach, it was awesome..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information.    I love looking at stars.   I don't know about your area but in my area we go to Star Parties.   Where the people that have large telescopes that are packed up and set out on the top of the mountain for everyone to see the planets and stars.  

The night that changed my life (had several nights that changed my life)  was the night I saw a galaxy like our galaxy in the north....and another galaxy in the east and another galaxy in the west.   

I left that mountain understanding how small we are in the total of space.  I understood we have no clue what is out there in the total unlimited space/time.

Humbled me in awe that night.

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Thanks for the information.    I love looking at stars.   I don't know about your area but in my area we go to Star Parties.   Where the people that have large telescopes that are packed up and set out on the top of the mountain for everyone to see the planets and stars.  

The night that changed my life (had several nights that changed my life)  was the night I saw a universe like our universe in the north....and another universe in the east and another universe in the west.   

I left that mountain understanding how small we are in the total of space.  I understood we have no clue what is out there in the total unlimited space/time.

Humbled me in awe that night.

@onewhiteSparrow  Well, there is only one 'universe' I think you mean gallaxies. Earth, for example, is in the 'milky way' galaxy.

HERE is a cool short informative video I think you and others will enjoy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Susan,   Thanks ....gosh I know...somehow I miss wrote.    Any who...I saw three other galaxies that night.     Before I saw those that night I thought there was only one galaxy...ours.  

I guess I should go correct my post...thanks.   

Respected Contributor

Wait a second.... now my mind is rushing around thinking.   LOL

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

"The 2015 Perseid meteor shower will peak around August 11. A new moon on August 14, 2015 will create perfect conditions for watching the meteor shower."

HERE is more info for those interested...

DH and I are looking forward to seeing it again this year...hoping for clear skies in our area Smiley Happy

Oh viewing the Perseid meteor shower was an annual event for us when my kids were growing up! We'd always plan one of our camping trips so we'd be in upper MI to view the meteor shower! Always a breathtakingly awesome sight without any big city lights to ruin its splendor! I live up here now so all I need to do is step out on my front porch! Enjoy!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Ms Sparrow - I'm watching CBS Sunday Morning right now and they JUST did a story on folks in TX having star parties!!!!  How very cool that you did the same.

Talking about seeing more galaxies - and we humans on this planet have the nerve to think we are the ONLY ones in this world. 

Yeah right!!!!  "They've" been watching us for well, I'm going to say since the start of time.  Yes I do believe THEY are out there!!! 

Respected Contributor

There is an app, Night Sky for iPad/iPhone. I love this. I hold it up to the sky, it shows me what planets are out and then I can see them.

It shows the International Space Station as its moving so I can follow it as it comes over the horizon....very cool!

Respected Contributor

PinkDogwood,   Bummer I missed that program this morning about others doing the Star Party.   They are fun fun....we camp out and NO ONE can have a light or ligher because we need dark dark to see everything....lights effects our eyes.   So we all wander around  in total darkness but it is fun and so exciting because others are always sharing what they are watching and they let us see also.   They are full of information and so darn intelligent and caring towards each other.   Just nice nice people.  Nothing negative is ever spoken among the group.  Why mess up pure pleasures.    Look around your area to see if any Star Parties are in your area and give them a call and tell them you want to come. 

You are correct we have never been alone on this planet.  And we are not the first intelligent life forms to live on this planet.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

mustangshar,  I need to find that App....thanks.