Honored Contributor

For those who like looking up at the stars...

"The 2015 Perseid meteor shower will peak around August 11. A new moon on August 14, 2015 will create perfect conditions for watching the meteor shower."

HERE is more info for those interested...

DH and I are looking forward to seeing it again this year...hoping for clear skies in our area Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: For those who like looking up at the stars...

@Susan Louise

Thank you.  As a matter of fact, I just ordered a program from The Great Courses folks called "The Night Sky."  DVDs, booklets, and one of those hand-holdable star charts.

Hoping for clear skies, too!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I heard on tonight's weather report also that around 10:15PM or so tonight we can see the international space station go by.  Check your sky WNW traveling NE for about 6 minutes.  I imagine if you pull up weather.com for the exact time they'll have it posted as well.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach We'll both have to post back afterwords and see what is was like for each other!

DH has been full throttle into Astronomy since his late teens and has one of those huge telescopes in the basement. He checks the Spaceweather dot com channel daily for all news space related...

I just thought I'd mention it if you wanted to check it out Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I heard on tonight's weather report also that around 10:15PM or so tonight we can see the international space station go by.  Check your sky WNW traveling NE for about 6 minutes.  I imagine if you pull up weather.com for the exact time they'll have it posted as well.

@PINKdogWOOD  OOOOh, how exciting! Very cool! TY for the HU! I have seen lots of satellites that DH has pointed out to me, but not the space station.

So that will be about 9:15pm CT (our time). I'll tell DH and we'll probably be outside about 10 minutes earlier so as not to miss it  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I checked the time on this and you should see it just before 930PM and just after 1100PM both EST.

I've had the opportunity to see the space station before.  It's really cool to think that's what we're looking at.  It will appears triangular in shape with blinking lights.

Honored Contributor

Ms Susan Louise - it's out there right now!!!  I just went outside my backdoor and I can see the space station just west of my house!!!!!

VERY COOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

I live in western Pa. and we have been watching the space station at night for years now. Even in the coldest nights in the winter we venture out side with our coats and watch it fly over. It totally amazes us every time. I keep a schedule from their site and it tells us when we will be able to view it. if you decide to look for it and it says it will be over our area at 9:36pm we had better be looking for it before that because at 9:36pm it is there not a minute before that time or a minute later it is always right on the time they say it will be seen. We even get up in the middle of the night to look for it. I think it is wonderful that people down here are looking for those men up there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cater wrote:

I live in western Pa. and we have been watching the space station at night for years now. Even in the coldest nights in the winter we venture out side with our coats and watch it fly over. It totally amazes us every time. I keep a schedule from their site and it tells us when we will be able to view it. if you decide to look for it and it says it will be over our area at 9:36pm we had better be looking for it before that because at 9:36pm it is there not a minute before that time or a minute later it is always right on the time they say it will be seen. We even get up in the middle of the night to look for it. I think it is wonderful that people down here are looking for those men up there.

@cater DH and I saw it at about 9:15 and since we had so much haze and clouds, by the time we saw it, the space station was so far past us we couldn't see it well with the binoculars. So DH just checked the schedule for us for when it passes again and it will be about 10:40 ct. I guess traveling at about 14,000 miles an hour it must be pretty cool to cross the US/World so many times a day Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Ms Susan Louise - it's out there right now!!!  I just went outside my backdoor and I can see the space station just west of my house!!!!!

VERY COOL!!!!

@PINKdogWOOD  We just missed it being directly overhead since we had so much haze and clouds. Please read my reply to cater so I don't have to retype it...lol

I just looked outside and the clouds over us are going away...crossing fingers for the next pass above us! Smiley Very Happy