Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those who are currently married or have been married

My DH & I have been married over 40 years. He is the love of my life . We have a wonderful marriage.He always has my back & treats me like gold. No one will ever measure up to him in my eyes.So the answer is no.I would have zero interest in another relationship.After having filet mignon why would I want hamburger?

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    When I divorced, I did not want marriage again.  My divorce took 2 years and was stressful. I had been thru alot of stress in the last  couple of years of my marriage.  I don't regret my decision and I enjoy being single and on my own.  Now that I am retired I live in an all senior apt. You end up having a lot in common with your neighbors but still your privacy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 - this is a tough one.

As you all know, my husband passed away last summer.  It was, and continues to be, the most difficult "thing" I've ever gone through.  The grief, at times, and loneliness, is intense.  I miss him terribly.

I still wear my engagement and wedding rings.  Even though I'm not married anymore, I still FEEL married.  I consider myself married and that my husband just isn't here.  I have no plans at this point to take my rings off.  Just can't face that yet and I don't have to.  Might wear them forever, might take them off tomorrow.  Who knows.

I am 65 and have given some fleeting thought as to whether I'd like to date again at some point and remarry, or not remarry.  I am by no means ready to venture out into dating land. It is WAY too soon. I'm still an emotional mess and with Covid and everything, nope.

But I would hope that maybe some day, down the road, I could be in a relationship again.....maybe.  I'm a really nice person and a social person and feel I have something positive to offer to a relationship and to another person and I would like to think I would be ready some day.   But I loved my husband very much and when I think about another relationship some day it gives me the willies a little and makes me feel disloyal to my husband, which is ridiculous, but it's how I feel.

So maybe I will be a one and done person.  Who knows.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 - Interesting conversation. I have a lot of friends who are widows and one SIL. Most have no desire to marry again, but one has been engaged and now has a steady "friend," who treats her so well- we all love him!

Now, two of my aunts died in their 50's - one very suddenly. My uncle called my mom a week after the service for help. Ironically my grandfather had died young and no one was ready. My uncle didn't want his wife to go through what my grandmother did, so he made sure my aunt could handle things herself. She handled the finances and most everything. He told my mom he didn't even know how to buy underwear- she had done that.

The lawyer who handled my aunt's estate was a good friend of theirs. My uncle married the lawyer's secretary a year later. I had a hard time with that, but my mom said he had had a happy marriage and wanted another one.

My other widowed uncle never remarried.

My MIL also died in her 50's. DH's youngest sister was still a teenager. Within a year my FIL had met someone at a "Parents Without Partners" picnic who had been widowed 5 years. They married less than a year later. DH's sisters had a difficult time, but I adored her. She was the grandmother my children knew. 

Both my FIL and my uncle married women completely different in personality from their first wives, but I was close to both of them- just not geographically close.  

Respected Contributor

being single and divorced is no picnic.i would give anything for a companion.and if it developed into something more,I would remarry.sometimes I married my high-school sweetheart.in June I would have been married 40 yrs.

Regular Contributor

My closest aunt is 84. Her husband died 10 years ago.  Recently she met a wonderful man. They do everything together. She would marry him tomorrow if he would. He is the one who does not want to remarry. He is a widower of many years also.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I have been married 46 years; no regrets, but I have no interest or desire to be married to anyone else.   

Respected Contributor

I guess it depends on whether or not you can enjoy life by yourself at times and be comfortable making your own decisions, and be OK with being alone.  I live alone, have a great job, great friends, and family, and WOULD NEVER GET MARRIED AGAIN.  That isn't going to change.

Some people can't be alone....like my ex-husband and others I've known.  The marriage ends, and within weeks/months they are living with another person.  In my case, it's been about 5 years, and I can only imagine how much he is driving her crazy by now!  Meanwhile, life has never been better for me!  

Don't get me wrong, we are on a friendly basis, but when he started to dictate to me what I needed to do, I found myself stating "I don't have to listen to what your opinion is any longer".   And he stopped, and hasn't tried that again.  

Do what makes you happy, single, dating or married, either way, life is too short to be unhappy. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@suzyQ3 - this is a tough one.

As you all know, my husband passed away last summer.  It was, and continues to be, the most difficult "thing" I've ever gone through.  The grief, at times, and loneliness, is intense.  I miss him terribly.

I still wear my engagement and wedding rings.  Even though I'm not married anymore, I still FEEL married.  I consider myself married and that my husband just isn't here.  I have no plans at this point to take my rings off.  Just can't face that yet and I don't have to.  Might wear them forever, might take them off tomorrow.  Who knows.

I am 65 and have given some fleeting thought as to whether I'd like to date again at some point and remarry, or not remarry.  I am by no means ready to venture out into dating land. It is WAY too soon. I'm still an emotional mess and with Covid and everything, nope.

But I would hope that maybe some day, down the road, I could be in a relationship again.....maybe.  I'm a really nice person and a social person and feel I have something positive to offer to a relationship and to another person and I would like to think I would be ready some day.   But I loved my husband very much and when I think about another relationship some day it gives me the willies a little and makes my feel disloyal to my husband, which is ridiculous, but it's how I feel.

So maybe I will be a one and done person.  Who knows.

@gidgetgh, yes, you definitely seem to be a very nice person! And I appreciate your mix of thoughts here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

DH was a widower when I met him. So I'm glad his previous wife told him she wanted him to find companionship again after she passed.

I'm so grateful to the amazing lady who went before me and sort of broke my DH in. She helped to teach him to be a great partner. (According to him, she ran into many of the same small faults and habits I've run into. So sometimes I sort of feel like her spirit is on my side when he annoys me. In a good way.)

Would I want either of us to eventually find more love if one of us passed? Absolutely. Not immediately, necessarily. But I know each of us wants the other to be happy. And unless my feelings about marital companionship changed, I'd still want to love and be loved. If he wanted that too, I'd want it for him.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr