Honored Contributor

For those who DO get a flu shot

I need to take my father (86) to get his flu shot next week, after he's released from the rehab center, where he's been since his stroke.

Anyway....I already got my flu shot and my husband got his and we both got the regular strength vaccine.  I don't have any experience with the stronger (double??) strength vaccine.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

He'll be getting it probably at CVS or somewhere close to the assisted living facility he'll be moving to.  We're not scheduled to see his primary doctor for a month or so, when hopefully he's stronger.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: For those who DO get a flu shot

I would ask the doctor to order him a flu short before he leaves the rehab. Easy peasy.

Honored Contributor

If your father has given permission for you to speak to his primary care physician, call the doctor and ask his opinion on what strength flu shot your father should receive, he is most familiar with his medical history.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Has you Dad had flu shots in the past?   If yes, I would not tempt fait and go for a stronger dose unless directed by a doctor. (it could be too stronger for his system and/or sith other meds he's taking.

Always good to call your doc for advise.

Honored Contributor

I can only offer my own experience. I work in a medical facility and have gotten free regular flu shots for decades. Last year I happened to get an offered 65+ shot at my doctor's office instead.

I rarely if ever get reactions to anything. I had a nasty reaction to the 65+ flu shot. Fever, malaise, sore throat and very red and extremely sore arm that lasted 3-4 days. I was shocked - and not happy.

I learned later that the only difference between the under-65 and over-65 flu shots are NOT that they cover more flu strains, but ONLY that they are double or triple strength of the under-65 shots.

I'm 20 years younger than your dad, and I'm going to stick with the regular vaccine, TYVM ;-( I would think that an 86 year old's immune system would go into unhappy overdrive from the double dose.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Great idea to have him get it before release from rehab.

DH just had cardiac stents put in and they gave him the pneumococcal vaccine before he was released. Stents were fine but he had reactions to the vaccine: very sore arm and slight flu-like symptoms.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I have read about very serious reactions to the double-strength shot.  I'd stick with the regular - if need be he can get another dose in a few months. Ask his doc. for sure.

I got the regular one yesterday, no problems.

Regular Contributor

I get a regular flu shots and last year I got the pneumonia shot has well with no problems it's supposed to last for ten years. Also my mothers Dr. Recommended that she also get the shot as well she is 88 yrs.  

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just heard about the double strength shot on tv.  My question would be, if some people react to the shot, then wouldn't a double strength have the potential to cause an even worse reaction?   And why would you want an older individual to risk a really bad reaction that could debilitate them to the point of possibly requiring hospitalization?

Trusted Contributor

Someone on another flu question thread said they got the double dose shot and had a terrible reaction and got really sick.

I would ask the regular doctor and err on the side of caution and get the regular dose.