Respected Contributor

Re: For those that worked from home during the pandemic....

We're all back at the office.  We can work from home one day a week but no one does it.  I love getting dressed up and being around people.  I hated being at home so much during the pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

Sill on WFH. 

We have been asked for 1 person fom each team to come in 1 day a week  for year end close out. Strictly on a volunteer basis. Only a couple of people with serious health issues have not come in.

It's a tremendous cost savings not only to corporate but to employees who don't have to commute or pay for daycare.

Honored Contributor

I have never been a parent nor worked from home.   So this question can be considered extremely unenlighened and fairly stupid.  How can an employee devote all their time and energies to their job performance while fulfilling their resposibilities as an attentive parent at the same time?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to inform an old woman. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My classes still meet on line for half the time; the other half we meet face-to-face.

This is not the ideal arrangement! I've had to re-structure everything! I'm talking more than a mile a minute, there really is no time to review, and it takes away from some of the fun things we used to do.

Technology is wonderful, though! But when I zoomed in full time and played music for illustration, I had no idea what the students' speaker set up was. No doubt terrible! Then I had to use a virtual keyboard instead of the real thing. Oh, that was fun, too! Ever play a piano with a mouse? Smiley Happy

There are a whole lot more negative things, but...life goes on. I get the winter session all on-line, and those classes always go well!

It is nice being home, too. Glad you are enjoying "home" work, @San Antonio Gal !

Respected Contributor

I wonder if it is as simple as introverts enjoy working from home. Extroverts prefer working in the office.

Respected Contributor

So...as a 12 month school employee we were going to work at the office while everyone else worked virtually. I was actually at the office the day our govenor declared a total shutdown and announced anyone that could work from home should. So the board had an emergency meeting and said all 12 month employees would be working from home for the foreesable future.

I worked from home March 2020 through the end of February 2021. It probably would have been longer, but the school board was pressured by the state education department and the governor to open buildings back up. So 12 month employees came back hybrid. I would work 4 half days at the office in the morning and then work from at home in the afternoon. Everyone, including teachers, returned full time September 2021.

Schools really can't be remote. We had and continue to have so many behavorial problems with kids because of virtual learning. And with my job, it is customer service oriented. I just don't do data entry and emails, we have to answer phones, we still have people who prefer to fax documents and medical records instead of emailing them, we do hearing evaluations for little ones, and we have therapists who see kids in daycares and their homes. We're grabbing files all the time. So when we would get requests to send information, we weren't there to do it.

There were a lot of nice things about working at home but there were also some cons about it too, especially when 12 month workers have to do 4 10 hour days in the summer. And summer can be slow, so there were days where I had nothing to do so I would go for walks, piddle around the house, I felt like I was playing hooky. My boss told me not to worry, she'd walk her dog and do laundry. 

We still do most meetings virtually, which I like. I'm not a fan of big group meetings and that was before Covid. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before the pandemic I worked from home maybe once a week.  Since our office shutdown in Feb 2020, the powers that be decided that we were just as productive working from home so our office closed and we are now permanently WFH.  I LOVE it.  I no longer have to get up at 5am and when I'm done working, I just walk out of my office into the living room.  I only put gas in my car every two months and even then it's only at about 1/2 tank so I'm extremely happy how it has worked out.

Esteemed Contributor

My division now works permanently from home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired many years ago,  DH has been working from home since March 2020.  His office remained vacant, with only a security person there through the shutdown.  The company opened up the option to return to the office earlier this year but DH is staying home.  Being part of an international team, it makes no sense for him to go to the office when none of his people are there anyway and he can do his meetings from his home office.  I am happy that he's safe here at home rather than being downtown (Chicago) everyday where there's lots of crime and violence.  Once in awhile he may have an in person day of meetings but it's rare.  If he would have been required to be there in person daily he probably would have retired.  Fortunately he likes what he does and is an asset to the company, so he'll keep working since this arrangement is so ideal for us.

Respected Contributor

I have been working from home 100% since March 2020, before that we worked from home 3 days a week.  We were told to clean out our offices because it would be permanent.  

Now with a new CEA they are saying they want us in the office 1 day a week (I work for the state I believ its political) but luckily I am retirning at the end of the year.