Honored Contributor

Re: For those that live along the Atlantic Coast...

at the delmarva beaches for the next week and today was a washout.

late last night and through tonight we are getting the remnants of harvey, some wind, rain, high surf, and a bit of thunder. if anyone around the area is having that, then it is not from irma yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/02/labor-day-weekend-soggy-northeast-thanks-remnants-hur...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Meteorologists don't know what track Irma will takes, its much too early.  Whatever we get, if we get anything it will be about 10 days from now.    There are several  models models which all predict different routes those are estimates and none of them right now are predicting a threat.  

@chrystaltree

Already high water and rough waves at Wrightsville Beach.

What happened to that 10 day leeway ?

@Drythe  Based upon the current location of Hurricane Irma, I would seriously doubt that you are seeing any effects of Irma yet. You can go to the weather channel dot come for the current postion/location.

Hope that makes you feel better Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise

I was not clear,  we're getting (were) remnants of. Harvey & Irma is out there, with another behind.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Keep your antennae up and on high alert over the weekend. Hurricane Irma is looking like it will head up the Atlantic Coast...

Depends if you are looking at the European model or American model.  The European model has it going to Puerto Rico.  The American model has it gong to the Carolinas where I live.  I believe we don't have to worry until Sept 10th.  Tired of the news trying to scare us to get more ratings......

@GSPgirl

The good news channels are not trying to " scare you to get good ratings." They're keeping you informed so you can prepare -- and possibly save your own life. No reason to panic. My brothers lives on an island off the NC coast. He is keeping an eye on things and is grateful for the weather updates.

Frequent Contributor

I am also among those that say the "news media" is NOT trying to scare people to increase their ratings.  Did we not just all witness what happened in Houston.  Advanced knowledge of the storms patterns is very important for those fortunate and wealthy enough to plan AND for aid agencies to make their plans.  It makes my heart sad to think that people think of everything as a political conspiracy.  So sad.

Respected Contributor

Update: we cancelled our trip to Ocean City MD. We just don't want to risk it, and mom has too many major illnesses so we are planning inland day trips weather permitting. Let's keep our fingers crossed it either stays out at sea or makes a soft impact with minor effects. 

Honored Contributor

@Forever wrote:

I am also among those that say the "news media" is NOT trying to scare people to increase their ratings.  Did we not just all witness what happened in Houston.  Advanced knowledge of the storms patterns is very important for those fortunate and wealthy enough to plan AND for aid agencies to make their plans.  It makes my heart sad to think that people think of everything as a political conspiracy.  So sad.

Great post @BeingKindIsEasy, thank you so much for this!  It seems the media is darned if they do, darned if they don't and I am so proud of the great coverage and also hands on assistance in literally rescuing folks from dangerous situations along with their terrific and non-stop reporting no matter the circumstance.  God Bless.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I would rather be warned.. and even scared then not given the option of knowing what might be.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Keep your antennae up and on high alert over the weekend. Hurricane Irma is looking like it will head up the Atlantic Coast...

Depends if you are looking at the European model or American model.  The European model has it going to Puerto Rico.  The American model has it gong to the Carolinas where I live.  I believe we don't have to worry until Sept 10th.  Tired of the news trying to scare us to get more ratings......

@GSPgirl  They just updated less than an hour ago though...

IMO they are just helping folks...not scaring people. That's what I am trying to do...help others. Certainly you realize all the problems from past Hurricanes. Everyone will heed warnings to their own discretion. Good Luck Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise @Mominohio @VaBelle35

I'd rather be safe than sorry......they predicted Harvey was going to bring 70+ mph winds and 12 inches of rain and likely flooding....I was really concerned when I got an email from our COA and my insurance agent stating the storm was serious, how to prepare and one of the items on the list was to put away all patio furniture, potted plants, barbeque grills and decorative objects, even wind chimes, that could become projectiles and be very dangerous!!!  I spent a long time moving things out of my storage into my home, and then putting all my outside stuff up in my storage room......

We ended up getting only an inch of rain and an occasional wind gust of 40mph but that was it.....seeing the devastation along the Texas coast, I thank the good Lord the storm didnt impact our area and was indeed blessed!  So I didnt mind the prep even if what the forecasters said didnt happen! 

I hope the storm goes out to the Atlantic and doesnt impact anyone! If it heads your way, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

And there's apparently another one potentially forming behind Irma... Oh qwap...

@stevieb

WOW!!!  And I head someone on the weather channel say that this is the time of the worst and most powerful hurricanes too!!!...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Even if Irma stays off shore, it is still a very powerful storm and those closest to the coast are going to get some impact from it.

I think many times when the media says "it's not going to make landfall" everyone walks away and thinks it's over.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN