Honored Contributor

Re: For those posting pictures of themselves....

omgosh, there was a thread I replied to earlier that I was afraid of being 'tracked'.  And I don't just mean by my name and address, but people can somehow google or search your features to other areas on the internet.  Kind of scary.

A poster put her picture up and it had her full name on it.  Now it's okay if you want to be 'public' like that.

But just remember, everyone can so easily find your address, your close relatives and even their spouses (exes too).

If you've spoken about them here, the whole world knows about them!

Too afraid to post anything because of privacy issues of others.

Not a fan of Facebook, I'm not on it, but........I'm on it!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't you read the posting rules.  Now questions or comments regarding hosts or models.

Honored Contributor

Lucky charm wrote:

omgosh, there was a thread I replied to earlier that I was afraid of being 'tracked'.  And I don't just mean by my name and address, but people can somehow google or search your features to other areas on the internet.  Kind of scary.

A poster put her picture up and it had her full name on it.  Now it's okay if you want to be 'public' like that.

But just remember, everyone can so easily find your address, your close relatives and even their spouses (exes too).

If you've spoken about them here, the whole world knows about them!

Too afraid to post anything because of privacy issues of others.

Not a fan of Facebook, I'm not on it, but........I'm on it!!

@Lucky Charm, This is just my view but I think it's a good idea to let the poster know the personal info is right there for all the world to see.  Many images don't have this data, but many do and if the poster is unaware they could have problems in the future depending upon who sees the information.  Of course, if they (and the people identified in the images) are comfortable posting personal details that's their prerogative -- as long as they do it will full knowledge.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Yep, I had my own personal pic up.  I copied the URL address by hitting CTRL and clicking on the image.  I then went to google, pasted the copied the address of my photo in goodle images, and hit the search button.  All my personal info showed up. Bad form, QVC.

Honored Contributor

PeterDM wrote:

Yep, I had my own personal pic up.  I copied the URL address by hitting CTRL and clicking on the image.  I then went to google, pasted the copied the address of my photo in goodle images, and hit the search button.  All my personal info showed up. Bad form, QVC.

I wish more posters realized this danger exists, @PeterDM.

We weren't protected on the previous forum platform, and we aren't protected here.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

I wish more posters realized this danger exists, @PeterDM.

We weren't protected on the previous forum platform, and we aren't protected here.

I told a poster before on the old board their name was showing, they got snippy and I left it at that. You can't help those who won't listen.

Frequent Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

All of your personal info showed up??! Not good.

Trusted Contributor

Not ALL my personal info showed up, but my pic has been used on my Facebook and Twitter as well as various work-related articles. So, basically my name and workplace showed up when I did a Google image search. If I type my name in Google, I get several pages of hits because of my field of work.
Respected Contributor

But if iM not on any social media, the my avatar pic should be fine correct? I copied pastemy pic and giberish came up.
Respected Contributor

Hi i see the pic. 😃