Respected Contributor

Re: For those over 60, I just saw an infomercial that made me howl . . . :)

My mother ironed everything including her jeans.  lol  She taught me to iron.  Back in the day when nurses had to wear uniforms I had to iron my uniforms all of the time for work so her lessons came in handy.

When Mom got to a point that she could no longer do her laundry, I did it and yes...I even ironed her jeans.  She didn't expect that, but it is what she had always done and since her clothes & appearance were always impeccable there was no way I was going to let that change.  So I got quite a bit of practice ironing her clothes.

I still iron some things but there is no way I iron jeans. lol

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@noodleann what are curtain stretchers (or am I missing the joke)?

They're wooden frames with closely spaced pins on which you'd stretch curtains, especially lace curtains, after washing, so they'd retain their size and shape and you wouldn't have to iron them. They go back to the days of summer carpets and housekeeping practices long discarded. 

@noodleann

My mother and grandmother had curtain stretchers.  It was a big production .... they would be set up in the backyard.  All the curtains were taken down, washed and stretched - and re-hung.  As a little kid - we'd be sitting on the back steps watching.

The carpets were taken up in the summer and sent out to be cleaned.  They were "stored" behind the sofa until they were rolled out again in the Fall.

Ah!  The good old days!

@ALRATIBA

My mom & grandmother called a company that came to the house & rolled up the out of season carpet on a long wooden pole and took it away for storage.  This couldn't have been an expensive service because we were solidly working class.  This was in the 1950s.  We had woolen carpets for winter and a woven, raffia kind of carpeting for summer.  Kids bedrooms and kitchen had linoleum.  Whew, that was a looooong time ago!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe

OMG, I never thought I'd see those again!  My mom used those for Dad's work pants, too. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@noodleann what are curtain stretchers (or am I missing the joke)?

They're wooden frames with closely spaced pins on which you'd stretch curtains, especially lace curtains, after washing, so they'd retain their size and shape and you wouldn't have to iron them. They go back to the days of summer carpets and housekeeping practices long discarded. 

@noodleann

My mother and grandmother had curtain stretchers.  It was a big production .... they would be set up in the backyard.  All the curtains were taken down, washed and stretched - and re-hung.  As a little kid - we'd be sitting on the back steps watching.

The carpets were taken up in the summer and sent out to be cleaned.  They were "stored" behind the sofa until they were rolled out again in the Fall.

Ah!  The good old days!

@ALRATIBA

My mom & grandmother called a company that came to the house & rolled up the out of season carpet on a long wooden pole and took it away for storage.  This couldn't have been an expensive service because we were solidly working class.  This was in the 1950s.  We had woolen carpets for winter and a woven, raffia kind of carpeting for summer.  Kids bedrooms and kitchen had linoleum.  Whew, that was a looooong time ago!

Aha! Amazing! I actually had one of those carpets and gave it away during a move, but never knew anyone who actually used them. That's exactly what I meant by "summer carpet." 

You have a very precious, long-gone housekeeping heritage!

Esteemed Contributor

If something needs ironed, I won't even buy it, that's how lazy I am, LOL.  

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@momtochloe

OMG, I never thought I'd see those again!  My mom used those for Dad's work pants, too. 

@shoesnbags work pants, yes that is what we called what my dad wore to work! . . . Heart

I can still remember my mom taking them down from the clothesline after they had dried and started ironing the inside pockets first so they laid flat and then pressed the remainder of the khakis (aka work pants) . . . nice memories . . . Heart