Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,436
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:


Just don't laminate your social security card.  It makes it invalid and you'll have to go to the office and get a new one.


 

I have to thank you!    Reading your post I recalled that, several months ago (or something like that), I thought about my SS card and wondered where I had put it.  So, I looked and looked and didn't find it.  Went online to SSA to see if I could order another one.   Couldn't  -  which is probably a good thing - and it said you have to go to the SSA office.

 

Then I didn't think about it again until just now and was wondering if I had laminated it and suddenly remember this file I had created in recent years and there it was!  Whew!  I knew that it was in this house somewhere, as opposed to the thought of losing it elsewhere (scary!).

 

I had not laminated it but I did grab one of those sleeves I mentioned earlier and it fits perfectly in there.   Then I tried to figure out where to keep it and something has always told me not to carry it i my wallet and finally decided to just put it back in that file.  Since it was there, I will remember for the next time.  

 

These are the sleeves I mentioned earlier that perfectly fit my SS card & Medicare card - 

 

 

 

One thing I like, aside from them being the perfect size, is that the card stays put.  It won't just fall out or anything.  They are 6mil thick.

 

 

 

Super Contributor
Posts: 493
Registered: ‎02-25-2020

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

Okay!  So general concensus is,  Medicare card:  okay to carry.  Social Security card:  don't carry.  Got it!  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I'd do a "thumbs up" emoticon, but we don't have one on this forum!  Smiley Tongue

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor
Posts: 493
Registered: ‎02-25-2020

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:


Just don't laminate your social security card.  It makes it invalid and you'll have to go to the office and get a new one.


 

I have to thank you!    Reading your post I recalled that, several months ago (or something like that), I thought about my SS card and wondered where I had put it.  So, I looked and looked and didn't find it.  Went online to SSA to see if I could order another one.   Couldn't  -  which is probably a good thing - and it said you have to go to the SSA office.

 

Then I didn't think about it again until just now and was wondering if I had laminated it and suddenly remember this file I had created in recent years and there it was!  Whew!  I knew that it was in this house somewhere, as opposed to the thought of losing it elsewhere (scary!).

 

I had not laminated it but I did grab one of those sleeves I mentioned earlier and it fits perfectly in there.   Then I tried to figure out where to keep it and something has always told me not to carry it i my wallet and finally decided to just put it back in that file.  Since it was there, I will remember for the next time.  

 

These are the sleeves I mentioned earlier that perfectly fit my SS card & Medicare card - 

 

 

One thing I like, aside from them being the perfect size, is that the card stays put.  It won't just fall out or anything.  They are 6mil thick.

 

 

 


I had some insurance policies in a plastic sleeve that the insurance company gave me, and when I went to look at them, the paper was stuck to the plastic and the ink from the paper was transferred to the plastic.  So I turned the policies inside out so it was just blank paper against the plastic which seems to be okay.

 

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if that might happen to the cards if they're put in plastic cases or is the plastic of better quality than what the insurance companies gave me?

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,436
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

[ Edited ]

@caroln242 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:


Just don't laminate your social security card.  It makes it invalid and you'll have to go to the office and get a new one.


 

I have to thank you!    Reading your post I recalled that, several months ago (or something like that), I thought about my SS card and wondered where I had put it.  So, I looked and looked and didn't find it.  Went online to SSA to see if I could order another one.   Couldn't  -  which is probably a good thing - and it said you have to go to the SSA office.

 

Then I didn't think about it again until just now and was wondering if I had laminated it and suddenly remember this file I had created in recent years and there it was!  Whew!  I knew that it was in this house somewhere, as opposed to the thought of losing it elsewhere (scary!).

 

I had not laminated it but I did grab one of those sleeves I mentioned earlier and it fits perfectly in there.   Then I tried to figure out where to keep it and something has always told me not to carry it i my wallet and finally decided to just put it back in that file.  Since it was there, I will remember for the next time.  

 

These are the sleeves I mentioned earlier that perfectly fit my SS card & Medicare card - 

 

 

 

One thing I like, aside from them being the perfect size, is that the card stays put.  It won't just fall out or anything.  They are 6mil thick.

 

 

 


I had some insurance policies in a plastic sleeve that the insurance company gave me, and when I went to look at them, the paper was stuck to the plastic and the ink from the paper was transferred to the plastic.  So I turned the policies inside out so it was just blank paper against the plastic which seems to be okay.

 

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if that might happen to the cards if they're put in plastic cases or is the plastic of better quality than what the insurance companies gave me?


 

These are a pretty nice quality.   My Medicare card has only been in it for a little over a year, and so far so good.    I would definitely not think that this type of plastic would do that.  But that had to be a drag.  Smiley Sad

 

 

ETA:  I just looked at the description and it does mention 'anti-stick'. HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,732
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines


@caroln242 wrote:

Okay!  So general concensus is,  Medicare card:  okay to carry.  Social Security card:  don't carry.  Got it!  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I'd do a "thumbs up" emoticon, but we don't have one on this forum!  Smiley Tongue


We do now, @caroln242 :-)

 

Image result for thumbs up emoji


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor
Posts: 587
Registered: ‎07-10-2019

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

Thanks for the information @gidgetgh .  I think

it's a good idea to take a picture and laminate it

for the future.  Keep it safe like you would your passport.

 

Who know's, soon they may require it for air travel,

etc. in the not so distant future or for certain venues.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,204
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

The nurse who gave me my shot said that these cards might be necessary in the future to prove you got the shot....to fly....travel...etc.  

Valued Contributor
Posts: 587
Registered: ‎07-10-2019

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines


@SeaMaiden wrote:

The nurse who gave me my shot said that these cards might be necessary in the future to prove you got the shot....to fly....travel...etc.  


@SeaMaiden  exactly, I've read this too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,204
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines


@caroln242 wrote:

Okay!  So general concensus is,  Medicare card:  okay to carry.  Social Security card:  don't carry.  Got it!  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I'd do a "thumbs up" emoticon, but we don't have one on this forum!  Smiley Tongue


I have NEVER been asked to show my SS card ever. I have had it for well over 50 years.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎03-24-2018

Re: For those getting Covid vaccines

You can order a replacement Social Security card online. I just ordered one yesterday and received an email saying I will receive it in 5-7 days.