Esteemed Contributor

Re: For people with children........question.......

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

We have one child that we had later in life.  She was our blessing that we thought would never be.   Now she is our biggest headache.  The answer to your question is NO.  All our money was spent on her education. She is ungrateful.   We missed a lot of things in life because we were spending our time and cash raising her properly and giving her opportunities that we didn't have. At this point we want her out so we can enjoy traveling and getting back to having some fun but she's not taking the hint. 

Yikes, ouch . . . . unless she is on drugs or has been arrested this is kind of harsh.  With all due respect do you not own some of this?

No it's not harsh I live it everyday.  There is no drug use involved that I'm aware of she is a part of the entitled generation, are you aware of them?  Oh she is a sweetheart on the outside just a terror to her family.  Own what? that we afforded her every opportunity? She doesn't have any debt like others.  

@ANewHue you're referring to things and money, what about love and nurturing? Did you and your husband provide that?

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

We have one child that we had later in life.  She was our blessing that we thought would never be.   Now she is our biggest headache.  The answer to your question is NO.  All our money was spent on her education. She is ungrateful.   We missed a lot of things in life because we were spending our time and cash raising her properly and giving her opportunities that we didn't have. At this point we want her out so we can enjoy traveling and getting back to having some fun but she's not taking the hint. 

Yikes, ouch . . . . unless she is on drugs or has been arrested this is kind of harsh.  With all due respect do you not own some of this?

No it's not harsh I live it everyday.  There is no drug use involved that I'm aware of she is a part of the entitled generation, are you aware of them?  Oh she is a sweetheart on the outside just a terror to her family.  Own what? that we afforded her every opportunity? She doesn't have any debt like others.  

@ANewHue you're referring to things and money, what about love and nurturing? Did you and your husband provide that?

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@JaneMarple of course.  This kid has a mind of her own as many others do.  Just because you teach and instill values and morals that doesn't mean they're going to follow the path as they age.  I know others that are going through the same thing. 

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you have children?

Acknowledging that some are estranged; some parents mistreated by their adult children, and so on..............if you had to live your life over again, would you have children or would you be "child-free?"

I don't think about these questions.  I can't do it all over again, so no point thinking about it. 

Honored Contributor

This can be a good thread but if posters start getting judgmental, it's going to be locked.

Anyway, I was a late bloomer, had a boy when I was 28 and a girl at 39.   I am an only child and for a long time I felt I was too self-centered to have a child.   I thought I would resent having to take care of another person.  I liked being the center of the universe.

Thank goodness I was wrong!    It hasn't all been a bed of roses and if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd be pregnant "early & often"!

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

Again, do you not own some of this?  This is a child that sounds like she has no clue about the real world which is to be honest your responsibility and those things shouldn't come with a price tag or what you missed as it was your choice to have her in the first place.

I am tired of hearing about this entitled generation as they were raised by entitled parents (please know I am not speaking to you).  I married a man that had teenage children that were completely cast adrift as neither parent wanted to take responsibility for them.  One of the saddest things I ever saw/heard was a father screaming at his daughter that she would have to give up the BMW for the weekend because she made his new wife angry.  

No wonder kids feel adrift.

Esteemed Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@ANewHue wrote:

@JaneMarple of course.  This kid has a mind of her own as many others do.  Just because you teach and instill values and morals that doesn't mean they're going to follow the path as they age.  I know others that are going through the same thing. 

Sounds as if she has to find her own path, like all children do.

Respected Contributor

Re the OP, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to come out and say heck no, I wouldn't have had them. I recall an old Ann Landers column asking this very question, and 70% of her responses were negative. Even if things have improved, it's probably no better than 50%. I think that's a more realistic estimate of people's true feelings--not that anyone who's responded is lying, but most people are not going to weigh in and hazard the unpleasant feedback they're likely to get if they say no. 

A more interesting question, with less predictable answers, would be if you elected to not have kids (childfree by choice, not circumstance), would you do things differently if you could live that part of your life over again. 

Honored Contributor

@Andrewsgrandma

I just wanted to send hugs & prayers to you. We lost my closest nephew (&his fiancé) in a car crash September, 2016. His mother & I are very close and I know her life will never be the same. My closest cousin lost her son at 11 to a tragic accident.  Everyday I pray for them & those who don't have their children no matter what circumstances -- a mothers love is unconditional and no matter their age their still our "babies".

The answer to the original post YES and I sometimes wish I had a spouse who liked children I would foster kids -- mine are grown men w/families. Yup they annoy me and gave me a run for my money raising them but I wouldn't change a thing!

Esteemed Contributor

I just knew if one person was being honest on an anonymous board and spoke her truth she was going be armchair judged. I had a great experience to motherhood but to say everyone was going to slide through perfectly is unrealistic. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I haven't read where the poster who said no was being "armchair judged", she was asked questions, that's not judging! No one here has said that raising their children was a bed of roses but all except one would'nt change their minds.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

(((((((((@CareBears )))))))))). Heart