Esteemed Contributor

For people with children........question.......

If you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you have children?

Acknowledging that some are estranged; some parents mistreated by their adult children, and so on..............if you had to live your life over again, would you have children or would you be "child-free?"

Honored Contributor

Re: For people with children........question.......

Of course. I always wanted kids and I'd have been heartbroken to not have any. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you have children?

Acknowledging that some are estranged; some parents mistreated by their adult children, and so on..............if you had to live your life over again, would you have children or would you be "child-free?"

yes, i would still have children.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  Without a doubt!  We are never promised that life is easy.  There are no easy absolutely perfect relationships.  Our two sons gave us unbelieveable joy!  (They weren't perfect, but neither were we!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you even imagine being the child of a parent who if they could do it over would be "child free".  Ya, that must feel good. not 

And really if you're having kids because you want something from them, then you shouldn't have any. Their lives have a purpose that has nothing to do with their parents expectations. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot imagine life without my children.  It would be like living a life without sunshine or without the ocean or without coffee...lol    I've been fortunate, I am grateful for that but we have had our ups and downs in life.  I have a few regrets but my children are not one of them.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely. I can't imagine what our lives would have looked like without our two wonderful girls. My husband and I have talked about that periodically and that we would not have our wonderful grandchildren. He and I were both wired to be parents.

It was not always easy especially the teenage years but no regrets. 

Honored Contributor

Have children.  And if I couldn't have any, I would have adopted and/or become a foster parent.

Currently, I am still considering becoming a foster parent to infants up to toddlers.  I have some more world travelling to do before I get serious about fostering. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There isn't a word that can describe how I feel about my four children. My ex and I were married six years before we were blessed with the first two, the next two were icing on the cake. There's nothing that I wouldn't do for them and they know it. 

No regrets.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, we decided to adopt quite late (we were in our forties) by first becoming foster care parents.  We couldn't really afford the other options, and we knew through friends that the county had many children that needed adoption.

We expected an older child, for obvious reasons, and we were surprised and thrilled when the social worker called and said "We have a beautiful baby boy for you".

I'll never forget those words.