Super Contributor

Re: For our 50th Anniversary party

Happy 50th Gloria!

I think Hoovermom's suggestions about going to Cosco is a good one. Just remember it will be hot weather and you need to take precautions to keep cold food cold. Also if you are having sixty, I hope you have two bathrooms. People will be coming in and out of the house constantly.. And cooking that day would be very difficult, you want to enjoy yourselves and not wear yourself out.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, and yes, my oldest daughter is vegetarian, but she'll make something vegetarian too. I think we provide the meat and drinks. and we'll be saving a bunch of money by not having it at big place! We inquired and it's way too much for us!

Honored Contributor

Happy 50th!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

With 60 people you need to make bulk food - I like the idea of pulled pork - make then put it in something like a nesco roaster so it stays warm. Since it will be outside - and if it's available in your area- corn on the cob goes well with pulled pork and is a crowd pleaser. Also cole law. And baked beans made in crockpots or a nesco are always a hit too.

Have you looked into the cost of having it catered? Sometimes it is not that much more pricey than buying all the food and cooking it yourself and they do all the work.If you cater it and serve on disposable dinnerware - there is little to no cleanup. It doesn't cost anything to call and get estimates.

Congratulations on your 50th. By the time we are married 50 years we will be 84 and 88 so we will likely have our anniversary party at the nursing home.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 Preds said:

Happy 50th!

What a beautiful and simple idea these are! Anyone could do these! Even those who don't cook.

Respected Contributor

Wonderful! Happy Anniversary!

It would be wise to rent two port-o-potties for the day. They are very clean now a days and smell nice. Much better than a bathroom mess.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Congratulations on 50 years of marriage.

It's your special day, let someone else worry about the food. 60 people is a lot of people to grill for. You'll also need a lot of outlets to keep things warm. I agree with the suggestion of checking with a caterer. Our grocery stores do catering at reasonable prices.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 Preds said:

Happy 50th!

That's so ROY G BIV! Love it!

Honored Contributor

congratulations on 50 years gloria and mr.!

Respected Contributor

My panic attacks would be starting already thinking of cooking for 60 people. As others have said, I would check I to catering. You may be surprised at the affordability. Maybe if your girls don't have to buy food and cook, they might pitch in some $$ towards it?