Honored Contributor

Re: For my fellow Californians

@Nancy Drewwrote:

I just have a long list of things that upset me about what California become. What I object to, others applaud. Just a difference of opinion. My main point was I don’t think others are being trendy trashing California, they are just giving their opinion as good or bad California stands out. 

Yes, there is a difference of opinion. I agree with you on that point.  But there is another “thing”that goes on here whenever there is a CA thread (sorry, don’t have a better word for it other than “thing”). 

People who who don’t live in the state and who have likely never been here ( except perhaps to go to Disneyland) step in and act like the ultimate authorities.   

CA is a big state.  One can’t make blanket statements about the entire state, based on limited knowledge.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7   Hollywood!   Yep....that starts a firestorm.  Not my kind of place or lifestyle, but I know people who live in that area, work in the business...all very nice, hard working people.  

Honored Contributor

@septemberwrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

I just have a long list of things that upset me about what California become. What I object to, others applaud. Just a difference of opinion. My main point was I don’t think others are being trendy trashing California, they are just giving their opinion as good or bad California stands out. 

Yes, there is a difference of opinion. I agree with you on that point.  But there is another “thing”that goes on here whenever there is a CA thread (sorry, don’t have a better word for it other than “thing”). 

People who who don’t live in the state and who have likely never been here ( except perhaps to go to Disneyland) step in and act like the ultimate authorities.   

CA is a big state.  One can’t make blanket statements about the entire state, based on limited knowledge.  

YES!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I love California.
Honored Contributor

I'm soooooo glad I live where I do! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Q4uwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Q4uwrote:

I was also born, raised and lived in So. Ca until 7 years ago.  When in college I had a wonderful class in Geology and learned a lot regarding the fault lines in San Diego.  I've also been in many small quakes and several "ohmygods"... one in particular was when we were camping out in the local mountains.  My DH took the dog out and I was asleep until I felt the trailer move and thought why is DH moving the trailer with me in it asleep??  I looked out the window and the ground was rolling like a 10ft ocean wave, rolling the ground up and lifting everything (rocks, trees, a small stream and DH and the dog) as it rolled through ..... jaw dropping!!  We were fine and it rolled away...

I always get sick to my stomach right before a rolling earthquake (not the ones when the plates shift) but I didn't feel sick for that one...

Now where we are, we 'only' have to worry about tornados...Woman Frustrated.  

10 foot rolling like-ocean waves only happen in movies.  I have been in the big ones, and my grandparents were in the 1906 quake and took photos.  No 10 foot rolling ground waves.

It's called a Surface Wave and YES they do indeed occur. 

The two main types of waves are body waves and surface waves. Body waves can travel through the earth's inner layers, but surface waves can only move along the surface of the planet like ripples on water. Earthquakes radiate seismic energy as both body andsurface waves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Surface+wave+earthquake&oq=Surface+wave+earthquake&aqs=chrome..69i57...

Did you read your own comments?  @Q4u

Surface waves move like RIPPLES on water.  A ripple is NOT a ten foot ocean-like wave.

If it had been ten feet high, it would have been recorded and made the news.  Heck, it would have made history.

Unbelievable.  I saw it, my husband and dog were lifted by it.  My husband is 6'3" and the total look of this wave was taller than he was.  I didn't take a tape measure and run out there to measure but it happened exactly as I described it.  We still talk about it.

There are several sub-categories within the "Surface Wave" category.  If there were other waves that occured where we were not affected, we didn't see it/them.  We were out in the country with no buildings around and it was astounding to see. 

I don't lie and this was not an exaggeration.  Because of your post DH and I talked about it again.... he read my post and agreed it was accurate, believe me DH (a triple Engineer) would have told me if I got it wrong. This happened and Surface waves happen and all Surface Waves are not created equal.  Whether or not you believe me is a very moot point.  Good grief.... have another nit to pick?  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

Like rolling ten foot land waves?  Just kidding, you know I like you.  CA has been a target on this board for a long time, more than a decade that I know of. The mention of Hollywood is enough, lol.

@Nancy Drew

Wow!  My story is true and only told because it was an incredible experience.  I grew up and lived in CA my entire life.  I didn't post the story for any other reason than I thought it was interesting..... yes, we moved.... the reason?  DH was laid off and we could no longer afford to live there!!!   All my friends are still there.  I miss it but we're comfortable where we are.   What is wrong with some of you?   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drewwrote:

Earthquakes are the least of our problems. Middle class and upper middle class are leaving. We made the decision to leave in 32 months. We thought we would retire here. Not anymore. California is getting worse by the day. It isn’t trendy to bash California, it is the hard truth of what we let happen to it.

Dear @Nancy Drew

This thread isn't about California's problems.  Nowhere did anyone talk about ranking problems and nowhere does anyone deny any other problem, whether anyone is affected only locally or statewide.  Even earthquakes aren't statewide, at least not yet.

No, this thread was a generous gesture from @suzyQ3 to share an update created by our state to educate its residents.  Anyone is free to take the knowledge and use it as they choose.

I'm retired and living in California and I'm not rich and if you really wanted to stay, you could find a place to move to within the state.  I'm sorry you decided to leave.  I only hope you are moving toward something you love instead of leaving something you don't like.  I, for one, have found life turns out better when taking action based on those parameters.

ETA:  Not meant to be a lecture even though it may read like one.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it has inappropriate content

Valued Contributor

There are parts of California I LOVE, there are parts I don't at all, just like most other states. 

With that said.......I can't figure out that darn map! I found the addresses I need but I don't see where it gives me any information....just shows me the address. I think I'm pretty computer savvy but this website makes me feel like a noob.... Smiley Frustrated