Honored Contributor

Re: For my fellow Californians

I'd be more worried about the health hazards of skid row with rats and human waste. A vast sea of broken people and nothing is being done.These tent cities are frightening. 

Honored Contributor

@Q4uwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Q4uwrote:

I was also born, raised and lived in So. Ca until 7 years ago.  When in college I had a wonderful class in Geology and learned a lot regarding the fault lines in San Diego.  I've also been in many small quakes and several "ohmygods"... one in particular was when we were camping out in the local mountains.  My DH took the dog out and I was asleep until I felt the trailer move and thought why is DH moving the trailer with me in it asleep??  I looked out the window and the ground was rolling like a 10ft ocean wave, rolling the ground up and lifting everything (rocks, trees, a small stream and DH and the dog) as it rolled through ..... jaw dropping!!  We were fine and it rolled away...

I always get sick to my stomach right before a rolling earthquake (not the ones when the plates shift) but I didn't feel sick for that one...

Now where we are, we 'only' have to worry about tornados...Woman Frustrated.  

10 foot rolling like-ocean waves only happen in movies.  I have been in the big ones, and my grandparents were in the 1906 quake and took photos.  No 10 foot rolling ground waves.

It's called a Surface Wave and YES they do indeed occur. 

The two main types of waves are body waves and surface waves. Body waves can travel through the earth's inner layers, but surface waves can only move along the surface of the planet like ripples on water. Earthquakes radiate seismic energy as both body andsurface waves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Surface+wave+earthquake&oq=Surface+wave+earthquake&aqs=chrome..69i57...

Did you read your own comments?  @Q4u

Surface waves move like RIPPLES on water.  A ripple is NOT a ten foot ocean-like wave.

If it had been ten feet high, it would have been recorded and made the news.  Heck, it would have made history.

Honored Contributor

@RetRNwrote:

I'd be more worried about the health hazards of skid row with rats and human waste. A vast sea of broken people and nothing is being done.These tent cities are frightening. 

It's just useful information. The ability to find out whether your house is in any of the danger zones is very helpful. There are precautions, then, that you can take.

I have no idea what rats and human waste have to do with this topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirlwrote:

CA can’t even fix their potholes, yet they spent how much money for this website?  So now when you sell your house, do you have to disclose this info?  Are you all going to move now that you know what your risk is?  

You sound unduly upset or angry about this, @GSPgirl

For the life of me, I can't understand such a reaction to helpful information.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@GSPgirl

As a fourth generation northern Californian, we know the issues

we have to deal with.

We have a wonderful state, with wonderful people.  The current

trend to bash CA is ridiculous. 

My son recently interviewed for an administrative job in San Francisco,  He met a few of the people also interviewing.  Every single other person was from out of state, and they all said they wanted to come to CA especially NOW.

Esteemed Contributor

Earthquakes are the least of our problems. Middle class and upper middle class are leaving. We made the decision to leave in 32 months. We thought we would retire here. Not anymore. California is getting worse by the day. It isn’t trendy to bash California, it is the hard truth of what we let happen to it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t know what happened to CA that we did.  None of us can control the rise in housing costs and services.  

We can’t stop people coming in to this state and paying enormous amounts for homes.   I have read the same thing is happening in Texas.

What we have done that’s good is make tremendous strides in controlling toxic emissions, fighting to save sea life and keep our shores clean, etc. and we have done better than other states in recycling.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 I found this thread very informative even for an East Coast dweller like me. This is a very enlightening subject that has absolutely nothing to do with tents, potholes, the homeless or rats!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

Hi @september

You could also try this one.  It's similar although a bit older:

http://myhazards.caloes.ca.gov/

Thanks.  That was helpful!  Did not really give me any new info..

I know I’m on the edge of a 100year flood zone, but at least I saw I wasn’t on any of the other zones.