Honored Contributor

Re: For my fellow Californians

Hi @shoekitty

I've had copies of earthquake fault maps since the 70s, and I'm sure they existed before then.  Of course, they do get updated, but none of this general information is new to any Californian.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I was also born, raised and lived in So. Ca until 7 years ago.  When in college I had a wonderful class in Geology and learned a lot regarding the fault lines in San Diego.  I've also been in many small quakes and several "ohmygods"... one in particular was when we were camping out in the local mountains.  My DH took the dog out and I was asleep until I felt the trailer move and thought why is DH moving the trailer with me in it asleep??  I looked out the window and the ground was rolling like a 10ft ocean wave, rolling the ground up and lifting everything (rocks, trees, a small stream and DH and the dog) as it rolled through ..... jaw dropping!!  We were fine and it rolled away...

I always get sick to my stomach right before a rolling earthquake (not the ones when the plates shift) but I didn't feel sick for that one...

Now where we are, we 'only' have to worry about tornados...Woman Frustrated.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4uwrote:

I was also born, raised and lived in So. Ca until 7 years ago.  When in college I had a wonderful class in Geology and learned a lot regarding the fault lines in San Diego.  I've also been in many small quakes and several "ohmygods"... one in particular was when we were camping out in the local mountains.  My DH took the dog out and I was asleep until I felt the trailer move and thought why is DH moving the trailer with me in it asleep??  I looked out the window and the ground was rolling like a 10ft ocean wave, rolling the ground up and lifting everything (rocks, trees, a small stream and DH and the dog) as it rolled through ..... jaw dropping!!  We were fine and it rolled away...

I always get sick to my stomach right before a rolling earthquake (not the ones when the plates shift) but I didn't feel sick for that one...

10 foot rolling like-ocean waves only happen in movies.  I have been in the big ones, and my grandparents were in the 1906 quake and took photos.  No 10 foot rolling ground waves.

Honored Contributor

I filled in my address on the site, but got what looked like a google map of my neighborhood   Will have to check this out again, as I didn’t find anything useful. 

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirlwrote:

CA can’t even fix their potholes, yet they spent how much money for this website?  So now when you sell your house, do you have to disclose this info?  Are you all going to move now that you know what your risk is?  

All the small potholes on my street were filled in by county workers last week.  They didn’t bother me at all...they force people to slow down as they come down the street.  and that’s okay with me!  But the comment about not fixing potholes doesn’t fly with me.  

Honored Contributor

@septemberwrote:

I filled in my address on the site, but got what looked like a google map of my neighborhood   Will have to check this out again, as I didn’t find anything useful. 

@september

It worked better for me if I first clicked on the "legend" portion in the upper right.  Then do the address search.  Or even just your city.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Q4uwrote:

10 foot rolling like-ocean waves only happen in movies.  I have been in the big ones, and my grandparents were in the 1906 quake and took photos.  No 10 foot rolling ground waves.

It's called a Surface Wave and YES they do indeed occur. 

The two main types of waves are body waves and surface waves. Body waves can travel through the earth's inner layers, but surface waves can only move along the surface of the planet like ripples on water. Earthquakes radiate seismic energy as both body andsurface waves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Surface+wave+earthquake&oq=Surface+wave+earthquake&aqs=chrome..69i57...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@septemberwrote:

@september

It worked better for me if I first clicked on the "legend" portion in the upper right.  Then do the address search.  Or even just your city.

Thanks @GingerPeach.  Maybe I should try it later on my Mac.  Only using the iPad now. 

Respected Contributor

I am not too concerned,every part of the country has their downfalls..tornadoes, hurricanes and such...I worry more about wildfires here....

Honored Contributor

Hi @september

You could also try this one.  It's similar although a bit older:

http://myhazards.caloes.ca.gov/