Honored Contributor

Re: For all of the germaphobes posting here

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

There was no way the First Americans would not get sick from exposure to things like smallpox, sometimes induced on purpose.

Even early travelers from Europe got sick from it not to mention it could still kill.  No one got stronger from exposure to smallpox. 

My smallpox vaccination scar wishes to differ with you.

@Marp you equate a smallpox vaccination to a full blown case of smallpox way more than a century ago?  I wouldn't.

@Noel7, no, I am equating smallpox vaccination to exposure to smallpox which is exactly what the vaccination was intended to do.

I still disagree with you @Marp. Very much so.  They are two different things.  The vaccine does not contain the smallpox virus.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

It is more harmful to be a germaphobe and worry about all of these exposures to germs, than it is to just use common sense and embrace the germs around you. They strengthen your immune system.

Now if you really want to prove that germs don't bother you, use those super blaster hand dryers in public restrooms. They suck up every microbe from every flush, cough and sneeze and blast them all over your hands and you breathe them in because of the stirred up air. You will never see an air hand dryer in a hospital restroom. If you do, run.

This post makes absolutely no sense to me.  Are you making fun of people for wanting to avoid germs in the first paragraph?  I can't think of any other meaning to that.

Then you go on to say "if you really want to prove that germs don't bother you" but why would a germaphobe care about that?

So I don't see a point to this. 

Honored Contributor

I consider myself germ-cautious, not a germaphobe.   I do have hand sanitizer in my car that I use as soon as I pump gas, or come out of a store.   I do not have any antibacterial soap in my house, but we go thru a lot of liquid hand soap every week.    

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613

I honestly believe that in all your zeal it would be worth your while to take a course in microbiology.  Learn about pseudomonas, the real threat of the tuberculin bacterium, etc.  The entire course is mindblowing and the ultimate education in bacteria, viri and all manner of microbes.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'I don't know'..........Seems as though almost everywhere i am, there's always someone or a few who seem to have very loud deep coughs, as they walk around here and there in stores, touching garments, items, shopping carts, etc.  That, or their children who sound very ill.  Sometimes it's just easier to use a hand sanitizer as soon as I get back into my car. Instead of going in and out of store and supermarket bathrooms.  I guess it depends on the area, time of year (flu seasons), and how many folks are walking around with contagious illness. 

@ROMARY - just to touch on one thing you mention (and I can't be the only one) - I cough occasionally, and sometimes it can sound like I have TB. I have allergies that cause me to have a chronic, off and on 'seal bark.' I take medication daily - the only remedy there is - and yet I still cough. But I'm not 'contagious' - no one can catch my allergy and I've done all I can do about it. Medicine has no allergy miracle drugs. 

Also, many people must take ACE inhibitor medications for their blood pressure and in a high percentage of those who take the medications, a chronic dry cough is something they must put up with. No infection involved.

I pay more attention to people coughing, sneezing, etc during "cold and flu season", and take some extra precautions at that time of year. Other than that, I kinda figure que será, será since I'm neither immune compromised nor "geriatric" as someone termed the other day.

I do what I feel comfortable doing at the time of year I feel like doing it, as you do.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

My sister is someone who avoids germs all the time - won't touch door handles, ketchup bottles, menus - she gets sick all the time

My neighbor has a friend like that.  She probably goes through as many latex gloves in a day as a doctors office.  She won't even handle produce unless she has gloves on.

At neighborhood gatherings she will eat what she brought, will eat what the one neighbor made and pass by everything else.

Honored Contributor

I carry wipes in my car,in my handbag and use them, i hate filling the car up with gasoline,touching that nozzle.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

It is more harmful to be a germaphobe and worry about all of these exposures to germs, than it is to just use common sense and embrace the germs around you. They strengthen your immune system.

Now if you really want to prove that germs don't bother you, use those super blaster hand dryers in public restrooms. They suck up every microbe from every flush, cough and sneeze and blast them all over your hands and you breathe them in because of the stirred up air. You will never see an air hand dryer in a hospital restroom. If you do, run.

Wow, for sure that's not true.

Are you familiar with auto immune disorders?  You may get a cold but that same cold can easily put someone with Lupus in the hospital with pneumonia.

Agreed!

Trying to build the immune system of young children by letting them experience a certain level of dirt and germs, and adults with healthy immune systems, being 'out there in the mix' and not over obsessing about every little germ is one thing, but there are super germs out there now that will take down the strongest of us, as well as millions of people with immune system diseases and deficiencies, so there isn't a one size fits all approach to germ exposure. 

For myself, I'll continue to get out and participate in life, but I'l be sensitive to bacteria and virus potential and wash, handle things, avoid certain places at certain times, as necessary based on my own health, the health of the population in general at any given time (like during an outbreak of some sickness or disease), or the condition of the location at the time (the cleanliness and food handling practices of an eating establishment for example).

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

'I don't know'..........Seems as though almost everywhere i am, there's always someone or a few who seem to have very loud deep coughs, as they walk around here and there in stores, touching garments, items, shopping carts, etc.  That, or their children who sound very ill.  Sometimes it's just easier to use a hand sanitizer as soon as I get back into my car. Instead of going in and out of store and supermarket bathrooms.  I guess it depends on the area, time of year (flu seasons), and how many folks are walking around with contagious illness. 

@ROMARY - just to touch on one thing you mention (and I can't be the only one) - I cough occasionally, and sometimes it can sound like I have TB. I have allergies that cause me to have a chronic, off and on 'seal bark.' I take medication daily - the only remedy there is - and yet I still cough. But I'm not 'contagious' - no one can catch my allergy and I've done all I can do about it. Medicine has no allergy miracle drugs. 

Also, many people must take ACE inhibitor medications for their blood pressure and in a high percentage of those who take the medications, a chronic dry cough is something they must put up with. No infection involved.

I pay more attention to people coughing, sneezing, etc during "cold and flu season", and take some extra precautions at that time of year. Other than that, I kinda figure que será, será since I'm neither immune compromised nor "geriatric" as someone termed the other day.

I do what I feel comfortable doing at the time of year I feel like doing it, as you do.

@Moonchilde. . . . This post strikes a chord within me. My seasonal allergies present as a deep, barking, productive cough; my reactive airway also presents primarily as a cough rather than a strong wheeze, and I am on an ACE inhibitor. So I can be coughing at any given moment without being at all contagious. 

As as far as there being no air hand dryers in hospital restrooms, as a former health care worker, you are taught to wash your hands, leave the water on as you dry your hands with the paper towel, then use that paper towel to turn off the faucet. You should be able, in most cases, to open the door with your hip and leave. Otherwise, use the paper towel to open the door. Once your hands are clean, you touch nothing else in the restroom. It becomes second nature.

Yes, there are now "Super Bugs" out there now, but I believe we had a hand in creating them. The bacteria and viruses are amazingly adaptable little organisms that learned to to defend against all the over prescribing of unnecessary antibiotics and overuse of antibacterial soaps and  hand sanitizers. They became more and more powerful and continued to change and adapt to whatever we developed to combat them. The medical community has come to understand this, but convincing the public that antibiotics are unnecessary for every cough and cold and illness, and that hand sanitizer isn't needed when soap and water is available is a tough sell.

Granted, these organisms would have eventually evolved, but not this quickly. 

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@q-girl wrote:

As as far as there being no air hand dryers in hospital restrooms, as a former health care worker, you are taught to wash your hands, leave the water on as you dry your hands with the paper towel, then use that paper towel to turn off the faucet. You should be able, in most cases, to open the door with your hip and leave. Otherwise, use the paper towel to open the door.

That's what I always do. Can't believe how many people don't.

Some places put a garbage can outside the door for those who open the door with a paper towel.

Depending on where the washrooms are located, I like when they prop the door open with a big garbage can...that's even better.