Esteemed Contributor

Re: For What Purpose Do You Use Your Echo? NOT AN ELECTRONIC QUESTION

I  just asked Alexa via the Echo to order me a white Dot. The order was processed correctly. 

If you do use the Echo to place orders, you may want to put in a pin number in the area for that on the App.

Also, the app tracks and lists every request you make of Alexis. Click on more and you can evaluate if Alexis understood and carried out the task correctly. You then can delete this request called a card of info. It is easy to forget to do this so after 30 days, you can have a lot of requests to delete.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

As someone that lives alone with two dogs and three cats, (one cat which has made multiple assassination attempts by stopping in front of me as I walk or twisting around my ankles) the askmybuddy app is a safety feature for me.

You give the app a list of people with their phone number and when instructed will send a text or call them with the message you entered in the app.  In my case it is to notify them that I need help now.  If I ever fall and can't get up, or have an emergency, Alexa can come to the rescue.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7, you mentioned earlier that you did not know what the dot does.  It does everything the Echo does. 

The two major differences are size and in the speakers; the sound quality of Echo is exponentially better than on Dot but that can be overcome with a Bluetooth speaker.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't sure of the value of an Echo but a few weeks ago I bought a new Fire Tablet with Alexa and I could see the value for myself.  I immediately pre-ordered the Echo Show, which came last week.

In addition to what others have said, I can listen to podcasts through TuneIn on it.

Today, I needed a phone number and I gave it a shot and sure enough, she pulled up the phone number using Yelp.

Now I just need her to dial the phone for me and I'll never have to move again ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I bought an Echo Dot to put on my nightstand so I can control the air/heat when I get hot/cold. LOL!!! That's all I use mine for.

@Nightowlz

For that price, I think it's worth it!  Maybe you can expand into asking what time it is when you wake up in the middle of the night, lol.  I'm looking forward to that, as it is, I have to prop up on one elbow and squint to see my alarm clock Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Noel7

This device sounds like so much fun!

The situation about the mean math teacher... that is awful, just awful. Should not be allowed to teach.

My laughter occurred with a couple of girls who "got" what I was trying to say. A person is not the grade they make on a subject in school! People can be excellent at other things.

I like that @LTT1 and it's so true.

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

I  just asked Alexa via the Echo to order me a white Dot. The order was processed correctly. 

If you do use the Echo to place orders, you may want to put in a pin number in the area for that on the App.

Also, the app tracks and lists every request you make of Alexis. Click on more and you can evaluate if Alexis understood and carried out the task correctly. You then can delete this request called a card of info. It is easy to forget to do this so after 30 days, you can have a lot of requests to delete.

Thank you @KonaKat  That's all really important information to know, imo!  I like to be able to double check things, especially when I order.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

As someone that lives alone with two dogs and three cats, (one cat which has made multiple assassination attempts by stopping in front of me as I walk or twisting around my ankles) the askmybuddy app is a safety feature for me.

You give the app a list of people with their phone number and when instructed will send a text or call them with the message you entered in the app.  In my case it is to notify them that I need help now.  If I ever fall and can't get up, or have an emergency, Alexa can come to the rescue.

@Marp  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that information and advice! 

I fell in the house maybe two years ago by now, luckily DH was home.  I sustained rib injuries with small fractures.  I had to just lay there awhile before I tried to get up.  If I'd been alone, it would have been really difficult.

I read this post from you to my daughter and she teared up, I didn't realize how much she worries.  She told me to say thank you for her, that one reason alone, she said, is worth getting the Echo.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I wasn't sure of the value of an Echo but a few weeks ago I bought a new Fire Tablet with Alexa and I could see the value for myself.  I immediately pre-ordered the Echo Show, which came last week.

In addition to what others have said, I can listen to podcasts through TuneIn on it.

Today, I needed a phone number and I gave it a shot and sure enough, she pulled up the phone number using Yelp.

Now I just need her to dial the phone for me and I'll never have to move again ;o)

@VaBelle35

Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Happy to be helpful @Noel7.  You might want to think about getting a Dot or two so you can cover a wide area.  I have my Echo in my bedroom but have placed Dots in my kitchen and living room, the main areas I frequent.  This way I am never too far from Alexa.