Honored Contributor

Re: For What Purpose Do You Use Your Echo? NOT AN ELECTRONIC QUESTION

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Love mine for all of the reasons stated above...I just ordered 3 more as family Christmas gifts . The price is excellent.

Hi @sydsgma1

That's a great idea!  After additional comments, I now want to go back and see what they have to say about the Dot.  I have no idea what that does.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 I mostly use mine for music and cooking/baking, instead of hunting for the cookbook to convert how many teaspoons in a cup I just ask my Echo.

And I love to dance (if you can call it that) when doing my cooking/bakikng so the Echo supplies me with my favorite music by just requesting.

I also like to get weather updates for our area. After reading other posts in this thread I see that I am not using my Echo enough, I will be looking into several of the other uses mentioned here in the near future!

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

I love it!  So do my 80+ year old parents.  Still enabling new skills, but it's great for getting the current temperature outside ( local and from any city worldwide) , setting timers, telling jokes, spelling, recipes, getting facts.....really so much more.  I'm getting used to just walking by it and asking quick questions.  I need to play around with the music more.  We just have dots, so the sound isn't great.  Need to set up a little Bluetooth speaker I think.  The full size echo apparently has great sound.  I'd probably buy the full size with the prime deal today if I was to get another.

@Suebdoo

Just an FYI:  I bought a Bose Bluetooth speaker for my daughter about two years ago and it's excellent.

She has programmed her own playlists and used it for large parties and loves it.

QVC carries it, sometimes I see it on sale elsewhere.  Here's the one I'm talking about.

http://www.qvc.com/Bose-SoundLink-Color-II-Bluetooth-Speaker.product.E229914.html?sc=SRCH

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Noel7 I mostly use mine for music and cooking/baking, instead of hunting for the cookbook to convert how many teaspoons in a cup I just ask my Echo.

And I love to dance (if you can call it that) when doing my cooking/bakikng so the Echo supplies me with my favorite music by just requesting.

I also like to get weather updates for our area. After reading other posts in this thread I see that I am not using my Echo enough, I will be looking into several of the other uses mentioned here in the near future!

Hi @CareBears Smiley Happy

I'm so glad I asked about it here, everyone gave such good ideas for use, and I love yours for baking, I'm always transposing measurements, too.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

I love my Echo! I've had it for about 2.5 years and just recently got a Dot for the bedroom. Echo is sort of like Siri on the apple phone, but does so much more!

You can set it up to hear news by saying "news briefing". I have it programmed to hear local news, worldwide news, entertainment, traffic and weather. You can set up as many things as you want, easily done through the Alexa app.

I use it for a timer when I'm cooking. Alarm to wake up. You can program reminders so I can say "set a reminder for Wednesday to mail the cable bill".  And she reminds me.

When watching tv, if you see someone you can ask "how old is James Brolin" and she'll let you know. (He's 76 by the way - how did that happen!)

It now has notifications - if you order something from Amazon it will alert you that it's out for delivery and when it's delivered. That's a new feature they just added recently. You can also say "where's my stuff" and she'll tell you when your Amazon purchases are supposed to arrive.

You can order Amazon things through it - just say "Alexa order xxx" and she will.

I get an email once or twice a week with new things that are being added. It's really a nice little toy to have and a conversation piece for those who don't have one.

Today's price is outstanding. For those who purchased the Echo  today, you won't be sorry!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

@Noel7

I love my Echo! I've had it for about 2.5 years and just recently got a Dot for the bedroom. Echo is sort of like Siri on the apple phone, but does so much more!

You can set it up to hear news by saying "news briefing". I have it programmed to hear local news, worldwide news, entertainment, traffic and weather. You can set up as many things as you want, easily done through the Alexa app.

I use it for a timer when I'm cooking. Alarm to wake up. You can program reminders so I can say "set a reminder for Wednesday to mail the cable bill".  And she reminds me.

When watching tv, if you see someone you can ask "how old is James Brolin" and she'll let you know. (He's 76 by the way - how did that happen!)

It now has notifications - if you order something from Amazon it will alert you that it's out for delivery and when it's delivered. That's a new feature they just added recently. You can also say "where's my stuff" and she'll tell you when your Amazon purchases are supposed to arrive.

You can order Amazon things through it - just say "Alexa order xxx" and she will.

I get an email once or twice a week with new things that are being added. It's really a nice little toy to have and a conversation piece for those who don't have one.

Today's price is outstanding. For those who purchased the Echo  today, you won't be sorry!

@lainey1

Wow, you added more ideas, thank you!  I love the idea of getting news briefs and especially when deliveries are coming, I use Amazon a lot.

I thought about all these great uses and ordered the Dot, too Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 Have a great time with Alexa! When QVC is presenting an Echo as a TSV, make sure your Echo is in the same room. It will repeat everything asked on TV! It's cute to see one time but that'll do it, it'll drive you nuts having it on with the TV for any length of time. Have fun! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@Noel7 Have a great time with Alexa! When QVC is presenting an Echo as a TSV, make sure your Echo is in the same room. It will repeat everything asked on TV! It's cute to see one time but that'll do it, it'll drive you nuts having it on with the TV for any length of time. Have fun! Smiley Happy

Woman LOL

Thank you, @wishmoon !

Honored Contributor

I bought an Echo Dot to put on my nightstand so I can control the air/heat when I get hot/cold. LOL!!! That's all I use mine for.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

This device sounds like so much fun!

The situation about the mean math teacher... that is awful, just awful. Should not be allowed to teach.

My laughter occurred with a couple of girls who "got" what I was trying to say. A person is not the grade they make on a subject in school! People can be excellent at other things.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~