Honored Contributor

Re: For Those with Anxiety issues over Coronovirus

Thank you, Goodie2shoes!  A very thoughful post and most appreciated. 

I feel it is a serious thing and if we all do our part to be as safe as we can and use common sense, it will make it better for all of us.  Even if we feel --- well, it's not going to affect me --- I'm not old, I'm not sick.  I think we all have older family members and friends that we need to have concern for.  My hope to all is for health and happiness! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I understand your concern.  We've been watching hundreds of thousands be quarantined.  It's not something to take lightly.  At the same time, we have to be careful about worrying too much.  Take care of yourself and keep a watchful eye on what's happening.  

I have a couple of friends who are immuno-compromised.  They have more reason to be concerned than those who don't have underlying conditions. But they haven't stopped living.  They're just being a little more careful.

I worry more about my 88 year old dad, disabled sisters, and 2 SILs who are dealing with cancer because of their compromised immune systems.

Honored Contributor

It's life as usual for me until the virus is actually diagnosed in my community, and as of the news at noon today, WV has not yet confirmed a case of coronavirus.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
It's life as usual for me until the virus is actually diagnosed in my community, and as of the news at noon today, WV has not yet confirmed a case of coronavirus.

@RedTop - I'm doing life as usual also right now.  But I've prepared, just in case we need to stay at home for a few weeks. I keep topping off the groceries and will be ready to stay home if it runs amok in our area.

One or more of the schools in the county next to mine just announced a few minutes ago that they have their first diagnosed case, am employee.   They immediately closed multiple schools and sent everyone home. School is cancelled for tomorrow. They're supposed to give us the details at 3:30. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

I haven't been on the boards in awhile because I figured there would be much Covid-19 discussion and I can't really take much more of it. My already bad anxiety has worsened over the past few weeks or so and something I thought I was over, hypochondria...has come back because of all the Covid-19 fears. I'm not in the high risk bracket...I'm 40 and without chronic issues but I am still freaking out. My state has a high # of cases already (not in my area though) and is under a state of emergency. I struggle with unknown things and things I cannot control the outcome of. I also play the "what if" game far too much. Like what if I am stuck at home for several weeks and run out of food? What if I get coronavirus and but show no symptoms and end up infecting others who are higher risk than me and do get sick? I try to consume as little news coverage as possible but it is tough because it is everywhere and has basically overtaken social media. Thankful to be seeing my therapist in a few days and hoping to talk things out with him.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I wasn't concerned until this morning when x-rays confirmed that I have pneumonia. Cause I know at my age if I got that on top of this I'd be doomed. 

@shaggygirl, you will be fine. Take your meds and rest. Also, try to eat well. I totally lost my appetite when I had pneumonia. I made myself eat small amounts more often.

I have pneumonia as well.  @shaggygirl i am right there with you.  My appetite is zero and food tastes like cardboard.  Prayers  that healthy days are ahead for each of us.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I wasn't concerned until this morning when x-rays confirmed that I have pneumonia. Cause I know at my age if I got that on top of this I'd be doomed. 

@shaggygirl, you will be fine. Take your meds and rest. Also, try to eat well. I totally lost my appetite when I had pneumonia. I made myself eat small amounts more often.

I have pneumonia as well.  @shaggygirl i am right there with you.  My appetite is zero and food tastes like cardboard.  Prayers going forward that healthy days are ahead for each of us.

@Shawnie 

Ah geez, it's been brutal the past few days & nights. Trying to get enough air in without having a coughing fit.....felt like I had broken ribs they were so sore from hacking. Finally tonight I ate a little dinner and had a little energy. I'm on 2 meds, an inhaler and cough medicine. Good thing I quit smoking 3 years ago or don't think I'd have survived it! LOL 

I hope you get back to 100% quickly and never ever get it again! Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@Jamstan wrote:

I haven't been on the boards in awhile because I figured there would be much Covid-19 discussion and I can't really take much more of it. My already bad anxiety has worsened over the past few weeks or so and something I thought I was over, hypochondria...has come back because of all the Covid-19 fears. I'm not in the high risk bracket...I'm 40 and without chronic issues but I am still freaking out. My state has a high # of cases already (not in my area though) and is under a state of emergency. I struggle with unknown things and things I cannot control the outcome of. I also play the "what if" game far too much. Like what if I am stuck at home for several weeks and run out of food? What if I get coronavirus and but show no symptoms and end up infecting others who are higher risk than me and do get sick? I try to consume as little news coverage as possible but it is tough because it is everywhere and has basically overtaken social media. Thankful to be seeing my therapist in a few days and hoping to talk things out with him.

I feel for you, @Jamstan. I've been in your shoes, quite some time ago. I understand such thinking and know that it is very difficult to control. Maybe try writing your fears down and then look at each one and see if there is some concrete action you can take to help alleviate them. Also, deep breaths can help with that panicky feeling.

And if it continues to ramp up, you might talk to your doctor about it. He or she might recommend some treatment.

In the meantime, you might also want to limit your exposure to anxiety triggers.

Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jamstan wrote:

@Jamstan  I could have written this myself word for word, except that I do have underlying health issues :-(  I will be 40 in May. I'm worried to death about this too. My anxiety is already bad and this has just thrown it into complete overdrive. There are 4 cases in TN that I know of, I'm sure there are hundreds/thousands more that just haven't been confirmed yet :-( I just keep washing my hands excessively and using hand sanitizer.  Hang in there hun, I am right there with you, we WILL get through this though somehow/someway. Much love and hugs being sent to you!!!

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I always support being prepared, period, and make every trip to the store count.   

I stock my house from October until the  week before Christmas, and then avoid the store until usually late February.   

Right now I feel we are good for about 3 months, which takes into account cooking a hot meal every day for 4+ people.