Honored Contributor

For Those Who Remember Him, A. Alvarez Has Died at Age 90

[ Edited ]

I hesitated a long while before posting this, but when I read A. Alvarez's name in a Washington Post obituary today, I was taken back to college term paper time.  It was a bit of a strange sensation.  Perhaps some of you remember his name, too.

I recall seeing "A. Alvarez" so often in the reference section of articles or books I read while researching a subject.

I was unable to copy Wikipedia's succinct description of him but will use its descriptors.  Alvarez was an English poet, novelist, essayist and critic.   

May he rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Who Remember Him, A. Alvarez Has Died at Age 90

Oh, of course, @golding76, thank you for posting this.  I remember him in conjunction with Sylvia Plath.  He was in all the biographies that have been done of her, since he played a small part in her life, toward the end, I think.

He himself wrote a bit about her, and I'm remembering a vivid account he gave of an uncomfortable dinner they shared.  He was very candid and I think he felt (like I'm sure many, many people in her life did) that he wished he had done more for her, before it was too late.  I respected his unvarnished honesty.