Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Who May Have Friends or Family in Paris - U.S. State Dept. Number

IMO - considering how things are right now, it is best for Americans to stay in the USA if at all possible. I feel certain you can find somewhere amazing to vacation right here  at home.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
Doesn't Shawn Killinger's brother live in Paris?

Yes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Then don't leave your home. The murder rate in U.S. cities Is about 5 times that of the U.K. so you may be much safer there.  Murders, 353 for New York 113 for London both about same size.  It's a wonder anyone comes here!  Other big U.S cities much worse. 

Maybe so but most murders are committed by someone the victim knows.  The others, well, that would put us in a pretty calm percentage of those things happening.  Remember, other countries don't allow firearms so if they did, probably more murders would take place and we'd have a better estimate of who is worse. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Murder rate or not, I still feel safer here.  Prayers go out to all the families.  

Honored Contributor

There are not words to describe the tragedy that happened in Paris last night. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Paris. 

-- bebe 

________

________

For ongoing updates about this tragedy: 

summary updates: Paris attacks: Isis militant said to be Syrian who passed through Greece on refugee route – live

The Guardian‎ - 18 mins ago

--

Latest coverage of the attacks across Paris that have left at least 127 people dead. ... Mehdi Nemmouche, the terroristwho attacked the Jewish Museum of Brussels, lived in ...

____

BBC   

Paris attacks: Hollande blames Islamic State for 'act of war'
  • 18 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the section Europe
Paris attacks
  • LIVE Paris attacks updates 
  • Paris attacks: Who were the victims? 
  • A new terrorism and fear stalk Paris 
  • In pictures: Paris shootings 

The near-simultaneous attacks in Paris that killed at least 128 people were an "act of war" organised by the Islamic State (IS) militant group, French President Francois Hollande says.

He said the attacks, carried out by eight gunmen and suicide bombers, were "organised and planned from outside".

The targets included bars, restaurants, a concert and a high-profile football match. IS claimed the attacks.

Several arrests have been made in Belgium, the justice minister says. 

Live: Follow the latest developments here

Who were the victims?

Bar reels from attack

How will Paris cope?

A new type of terrorism?

Terrorism and fear stalk city

<snip>  

Link to the complete article: Paris attacks: Bataclan and other assaults leave many dead

BBC News‎ - 8 hours ago

_______

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I am supposed to leave for 2 weeks in London on November 25th.  

Everything is on hold.

The world is a very sad place in SO many ways.

@Drythe, I am sorry to hear that this will affect your plans. -- I just heard about this tragedy this morning and was dumbstruck by breadth of it. It was like a variation on the Mumbai attack. The world is changing and unfortunately more of this is likely to happen. There are lots of places to point a finger, but that doesn't change anything. It is a very complex issue. 

-- bebe 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Then don't leave your home. The murder rate in U.S. cities Is about 5 times that of the U.K. so you may be much safer there.  Murders, 353 for New York 113 for London both about same size.  It's a wonder anyone comes here!  Other big U.S cities much worse. 

@Bhvbum, while what you say is true, personally, I don't find your suggestions particularly helpful for the present situation. 

-- bebe 

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

State Dept.: US citizens in need of assistance after Paris attacks can contact US Embassy -- 1-888-407-4747 (US) or 202-501-4444 (overseas).

Also, to check the status of a U.S. citizen in Paris, you can email: 

ParisEmergencyUSC@state.gov

Esteemed Contributor

I heard from my closest friends in Paris. They are OK, as are their children and grandchildren. However, my friend Thérèse, who for the last ten years has warned me about the looming terrorist threats in France, had plenty more to say. She said that the entire free world is at war with these terrorists, who only know killing...killing of other religions, of non believers, of western culture and values. She has been telling me for the past decade that western European countries have been way too lax, despite the fact that we know there is no negotiating with this brand of violent monsters. I wish the French government had been listening to her!

Honored Contributor

Vivian~I distinctly remember your nic and your love of Paris.  I remember you mentioning your concerns over the safety of traveling to France.  And instead visiting Montreal, I believe.

If I've mistaken you for another poster I'm sorry.

But if not, my thoughts are with you and your dear city.