Valued Contributor

For A Mere $740,464 . . . .

[ Edited ]

If current Jeopardy champ, James Holzhauer, who has amassed $1,780,237 in 23 episodes, can hang in there all he needs to make is $740,464 to break Ken Jennnings record of $2,520,700 made in regular Jeopardy over 74 episodes.

Jennings and I are rooting big time for James!  Ken is in awe of his overall knowledge, his ability to ring in and his strategy of playing the board big money first, finding the Daily Doubles (and correctly answering them) and wagering huge (as am I)!

Jennings averaged $34,063 per game, Holzhauer - $77,401 per game.

I'm thrilled for Alex Trebek, diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, that after 35 years of hosting Jeopardy he is still here to see this fabulous phenom of a player in James Holzhauer.  Alex seems to be genuinely fond of this young man, and seems to be in as much awe as Ken and I are.  I think Alex is rooting for him to be an all time record breaker too!

Rock on James, rock on!  You make my heart sing with your knowledge, your humility and your kindness. Now keep on kicking a$$!

Trusted Contributor

Re: For A Mere $740,464 . . . .

Good for James, but I find him smug.

Honored Contributor

I don't find him smug. Although, he has earned the right to be as smug as he likes. 

Honored Contributor

I don't find him smug either; quite the opposite.  It was really touching, when he spoke of his (deceased) grandmother with such obvious love and respect.

Funny how people can see things so differently.

My DH and I have said what a genuinely nice young man he seems to be.  And very knowledgeable to boot!  We're rooting for him, too.

Valued Contributor

@roxxy1 wrote:

Good for James, but I find him smug.

@roxxy1, You certainly aren't alone in your opinion.  I'm so enthralled with this young man that I read all I can about him, including how others feel.  Some feel as you, some think he has "broken" Jeopardy, and many conspiracy theories are out there saying he's "cheating" - that one is kind of extreme and unhinged in my humble opinion.

Bottom line, vive la difference.  I love vanilla bean ice cream, others are chocolate fans.  Our differences are what make the world go round.  It would be a boring place to live if we ALL loved strawberry!  LuLu

Honored Contributor

I don't watch this, but, it's amazing.  I have heard about it.  Did he say how he came to know all these things?  Reading?  

Honored Contributor

So exciting to watch James, hope he gets to 2 million!

Let's stay tuned...

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scale/quill/5/5/3/1/4/1/553141f46402cad0e0cdebeaebe87a5a5d3a957a.png?mw=600

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw Alex being interviewed by Jane Pauley last week. These shows were taped, coming back in September. He wears a wig. I wish Alex well. 

Respected Contributor

Isn't it odd that this phenomenon James is on the show this year, this season ... as if this is the capstone of the show that Alex T. will experience, hopefully not his last.   I ask myself, why now?   James gives Alex the "will and drive" to fight this dreaded disease, I see this as a sign.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Isn't it odd that this phenomenon James is on the show this year, this season ... as if this is the capstone of the show that Alex T. will experience, hopefully not his last.   I ask myself, why now?   James gives Alex the "will and drive" to fight this dreaded disease, I see this as a sign.

A sign of what?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky