Honored Contributor

67 here

I don't limit myself to be with other seniors, in fact I find most seniors boring.

I gravitate toward younger people & children, my gosh how I love the little ones.

They wear me out but I feel revitalized.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I am 75.  I do remember what it was like to be young, but I am happy to be still alive and kicking.  Most of us have our physical issues to deal with, but my joke is that any day I read the obituaries in the newspaper, and don’t see my name, it is a good day.  

My sister said this also. She also said if she woke up and nothing on her hurt she would know she was dead. Sadly she passed away too young at 61. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm a tad older than you, and I'm past the everything falls into place (I know what you mean), but all mine, is giving into gravity!  LOL Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm 72 and in pretty good health, as far as I know.  Quite a few are not.  As an older person that's not rich, though, I have to say that as time goes on, I'm seeing how I'm treated 'less than'.  I'm dispensable.  Some feel that if you die when you're a senior, it's no big loss.  Grieve for them and go on with your life.  I'm not in a deep depression but this is a concern.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: For 65 and older

[ Edited ]

I wish I could say that I am relaxed, as you say has happened with you.  I was thinking as I got older, life would be much calmer, serene, a lot less problems, not much stress -- but this has not happened for me.  I had no clue that I would have to deal with so many health issues and the health issues of my husband and family members.  And my mother getting so ill and passing, this was just the worst and I still have not recovered from that! 

I do find that I don't care about many of the things that I cared about when I was much younger.  Things which were trivial and silly.  I used to care so much about what everyone thought of me.  If I found out someone didn't like me, it used to really upset me.  Now, I just think --- well, it's your loss!  

I used to have to be dressed just so -- every day.  Jewlery matching the clothing, matching the shoes, matching the handbag -- and makeup tand nail polish, and hair, etc.!  Spent so much time and money and worried if everything wasn't what I considered perfect!  What would people think if I didn't look current and up to date and just so?  So dumb!  I still like to look nice, of course, but I dress for myself and for comfort --- that's it!!! 

I think back to my younger days --- 20s, 30s, etc. --- I know that woman was me ---- but it feels like it was someone else!  I truly don't know where those years went.  It seems like I was young, supple, healthy, etc. one minute, and the next ---- BOOM! HA --- I know that's not how it works but looking back, it sure feels that way to me!

I am happy that I am retired and don't have to work any more and happy that I have my DH. He is everything to me!  

But I still worry about a lot of things --- wish I didn't -- but it's just in my nature, I guess! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I'll be 73 in July and am hoping as each year passes I can compete with my late maternal grandmother.

When she was 95 family convinced her that when she wanted to go shopping to use the senior bus instead of the public bus because it would pick her up and return her at her house.

Gram finally gave in and took the senior bus--one time.  When she returned she said never again, the bus was full of old people!!!

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey, I am very sorry for the loss of your sister at such a young age.  I think the hardest part of growing older is losing people you love.  

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm 72 and in pretty good health, as far as I know.  Quite a few are not.  As an older person that's not rich, though, I have to say that as time goes on, I'm seeing how I'm treated 'less than'.  I'm dispensable.  Some feel that if you die when you're a senior, it's no big loss.  Grieve for them and go on with your life.  I'm not in a deep depression but this is a concern.

I'm 86, I live for me. I don't feel old and I don't act old. I have every health problem you can imagine, but as my Mom used to say Don't give in to anything,  fight it. My Mom lived to be 98. I don't let people treat me like I'm an old Lady, my mind knows I am, but I don't dwell on it.

Honored Contributor

@HLP, I agree with you but you can't control how the top of the government tries to treats you.  They consider your time as being up.  You're expendable.

@HLP wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm 86, I live for me. I don't feel old and I don't act old. I have every health problem you can imagine, but as my Mom used to say Don't give in to anything,  fight it. My Mom lived to be 98. I don't let people treat me like I'm an old Lady, my mind knows I am, but I don't dwell on it.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

I'm with you @Mmsfoxxie!   

You have the right idea for living!