Respected Contributor

I just don't understand this. I believe players in the NFL have to be 21 years old. They all must have advisors in their lives (family, friends, agents, coaches, etc.).

Yet, there are claims that permanent injuries couldn't be forseen in some of their futures? Had no one figured out that repeated blows to the head could lead to permanent injury?

Had they not heard of Muhammed Ali and other boxers who were left with permanent brain damage from repeated blows to the head? Had they not seen other players left with knee replacements, hip replacements, severe arthritis, etc.? No one figured out that being hit in the head could leave residual damage?

I believe some of their assertion is that coaches put them back in the game too soon after blows to the head. But no one figured this out sooner? Reminds me of smokers suing cigarette companies after smoking for 40 years, warnings on the packs since the 1960's.

I believe no amount of warnings would keep the great majority of young men from entering the NFL if offered to them. The great majority assume the risk knowing themselves, or on advice by others, that permanent injury can occur.

Yes, it IS a VIOLENT game. People love watching it and playing it. I think it is the higest earning sport. Making it "safer" pretty much ends it as it is.

Hyacinth