Super Contributor

Re: Foods that you miss that are no longer being made

Date Bar Mix that my mother used to buy back in the 1950s and 1960s.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:

For me it is Necco wafers and OTC crackers (I don't know if they are produced nationally but we love them in Philly!)

I loved the chocolate Necco wafers.  Not familiar with OTC crackers.

Respected Contributor

@gellen wrote:

For me it is Necco wafers and OTC crackers (I don't know if they are produced nationally but we love them in Philly!)

Necco Wafers always bring back the memory of preparing for my First Holy Communion and we were given the Necco Wafers to represent receiving the Host during our rehearsals.   

One thing that I do miss are 5th Ave Candy Bars.   For some reason, we aren't able to find them here on the West coast.   I remember eating them all the time growing up on the East coast.  

Respected Contributor

I do not recall which bakery made them, Hostess etc. It was on the order of a Twinkie ,but White Angel Food cake with a strawberry filling and lower in  calories . I used to buy them 12 years ago for my lunch when teaching and it was a .little something sweet. Found them at Walmart .

Honored Contributor

Pepperidge Farm Snack Sticks - Sesame

Image result for pepperidge farm snack sticks

I adored these with a passion.  When I couldn't find them on the shelves in stores I called the company and said, hey, what's up with the snack sticks Woman Very Happy 

I was told there was a problem at the factory with the machinery and the problem was being fixed.

This recall notice from 2011 supports that:

Pepperidge Farm is recalling some 13,000 cases of 10.2-ounce boxes of Baked Naturals Sesame Sticks due to the possible presence of small, thin pieces of wire. ... Consumers who have purchased the recalled Baked Natural Sesame Sticks should not eat them.

Well I never ate any wire in mine and they never made them after this recall.  Such a shame because they were the bomb-diggety.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I see Mary Janes everywhere before Halloween.

I miss the original Taco Doritos and the Forever Yours candy bar. Someone said the Milky Way dark is the replacement, but it is nothing like the original.

I too loved the Forever Yours, it was so good. 🍫🍫

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@gellen wrote:

Necco Wafers always bring back the memory of preparing for my First Holy Communion and we were given the Necco Wafers to represent receiving the Host during our rehearsals.   

One thing that I do miss are 5th Ave Candy Bars.   For some reason, we aren't able to find them here on the West coast.   I remember eating them all the time growing up on the East coast.  

Economycandy dot com has them and a lot of oldies. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mars Bars. Why, oh why did they quit making them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

HannahsGram, I miss that date bar mix too. It was made by Betty Crocker, and was so very delicious.

I miss Triple Decker Bars---thin layers of three kinds of chocolate (dark, milk, and white)...exquisite!