Honored Contributor

Re: :) Foods Each USA State Is Known For (:

Philly       Cheesesteak

NJ           Tomato pie (thin pizza)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

I strongly disagree with NY and NJ!  In the day a young woman was referred to as "a Jersey Tomato".   Our tomatoes are the best and taffy is the shore region not the entire state.  NY, Juniors!  I mean it's cheesecake!  

I agree about Jersey tomatoes but Bagels are TOTALLY NEW YORK CITY!

I have never had a bagel like the ones from Ess-A-Bagel on 1st Avenue anywhere else but I have had some great cheesecake in other states!

But then I have never had pastrami like what I used to get at some NYC delis either.

So maybe New York should be Pastrami!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this! The states I have lived in since birth are spot on IMO! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think that Fried Chicken for Kentucky is silly.  That's just the name of a fast food chicken place (blech)

Kentucky is known for hot browns, burgoo and bourbon balls!!

Honored Contributor

Philly chesesteaks are rather indigenous to the philly area only. The rest of the state tends to eat what is appropriate to the cultures that settled there. Also the state of Pa is divided in half by a range of mountains so back in the settler days totally different cultures settled to the east and west of those mountains. Here in West Pa we had more people who came here from eastern Europe and we tend to eat more keilbassa , perogies, halushki, sauerkraut, potato pancakes.

Honored Contributor

This thread is making me hungry.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I know...not for pho, though 😕

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I know...not for pho, though 😕

Too hot for pho!!

Love that stuff when I've got a cold in the winter, though.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Stray wrote:

I strongly disagree with NY and NJ!  In the day a young woman was referred to as "a Jersey Tomato".   Our tomatoes are the best and taffy is the shore region not the entire state.  NY, Juniors!  I mean it's cheesecake!  

I have never had a bagel like the ones from Ess-A-Bagel on 1st Avenue anywhere else but I have had some great cheesecake in other states!

But then I have never had pastrami like what I used to get at some NYC delis either.

No no they are not. Maybe hundred years ago. Bagels in North Jersey are just as good if not better then NY. As is the Pastrami and Pizza. Lets face it, it is true North Jersey and NYC are related where food is concerned. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Stray wrote:

No no they are not. Maybe hundred years ago. Bagels in North Jersey are just as good if not better then NY. As is the Pastrami and Pizza. Lets face it, it is true North Jersey and NYC are related where food is concerned. 

I wasn't around 100 years ago.

I know New York bagels.  Specifically Ess-A-Bagel and there were a few other NYC bagel shops that had the BEST bagels only a few short years ago.

And no one can tell me that anyone anywhere has better pizza or pastrami.

Maybe NJ has items AS GOOD, but they are not better. I do know that Jersey has some great food!!  And we could go on forever comparing it to NYC, but hey, what would be the use?  Smiley Happy

KittyLou, NYC girl forever and always (no matter where I land)